Chiddingly Hot Pot
Something for those cold days
1kg stewing or chuck steak, cut into 2cm cubes
5 tbsp seasoned flour seasoned with salt and pepper
30g beef dripping or butter, plus extra to grease
2 onions, sliced
2 celery sticks, thinly sliced
Handful of pitted black olives, roughly chopped ( you can leave out)
1 tsp ground allspice
2 heaped tbsp roughly chopped fresh tarragon ( or mixed herbs if you have no tarragon)
2 tbsp white wine vinegar
250g floury potatoes, very finely sliced
300ml good-quality fresh beef stock/ stock cubes will do.
Heat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3.
WHAT TO DO:
- Toss the steak in the flour, reserving the leftover flour.
- Heat most of the dripping or butter in a large frying pan and brown the steak all over in batches. Remove and set aside, leaving the juices in the pan.
- Add a little more of the dripping or butter, then add the onions and celery to the pan. Cook gently for 5-10 minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the olives, allspice, tarragon, vinegar and leftover flour, then cook for another 2 minutes. Transfer half the mixture to a 1.2 litre gratin dish and spread out evenly.
- Spread half the beef over the onion mixture, then top evenly with half the potatoes. Pour over half the stock, then repeat, finishing with a layer of the remaining potatoes and the rest of the stock.
- Cover with a sheet of greased foil, transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. Uncover and cook for a further 30-40 minutes until the potatoes have crisped on top. Leave to stand for 5 minutes, then serve with green veg, if you like.
I love to eat this with crusty chunks of bread!
LittleMinx would love your feedback, please leave your comments below:
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!