My Mother’s Easy Mincemeat
I love making mincemeat for my mince pies at this time of year. Really gets me in the festive spirit and I love the aromas too! I hope you enjoy this delicious and easy recipe that has been in my family for years! It can be made a month in advance and as there is no suet in it I keep it in the fridge! This makes about 2 large jars.
- 50g (1¾ oz) each of sultanas, raisins and currants
- 1 Bramley apple, cored and coarsely grated
- 50g (1¾ oz) dark muscovado sugar
- 50g (1¾ oz) luxury mixed candied peel, finely chopped
- 25g (1oz) glacé cherries, roughly chopped
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ½ tbsp mixed spice
- 25g (1oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 60ml (2½ fl oz) brandy
- Rinse the dried fruit and mix up all of the mincemeat ingredients until everything is combined.
- Cover with cling film and allow the flavours to blend for 24 hours
- Pack the mincemeat into jars, fill to the brim to make sure there are no air pockets and screw the lids back on.
- Store in a cool, dry place and use in mince pies.