View comments by: Most Recent - first / last | Most Popular - first / last | Replies - hide / show

5:2 Eating plan

Have you tried the 5:2 eating/fasting plan? What are your views?

Created By on 27/03/2014

Not a member?

You need to be a member to interact with Silversurfers. Joining is free and simple to do. Click the button below to join today!

bettinaA
25th Jul 2023 10:35:41
Thanks for voting!
Some potential benefits of the 5:2 eating plan include:

Weight loss: By creating a calorie deficit on fasting days, some people may experience weight loss over time.

Simplicity: The plan is relatively simple to follow since there are no strict dietary restrictions on non-fasting days.

Improved insulin sensitivity: Intermittent fasting may improve insulin sensitivity and blood sugar regulation, which could be beneficial for people with prediabetes or type 2 diabetes.

Potential metabolic benefits: Some studies suggest that intermittent fasting may have positive effects on certain metabolic markers and cellular processes, although more research is needed to fully understand these effects.

However, the 5:2 eating plan may not be suitable for everyone, and there are some potential drawbacks:

Hunger and low energy: Some people may find it challenging to stick to very low-calorie days, leading to hunger, fatigue, and irritability.

Nutritional concerns: On fasting days, it can be difficult to meet all nutrient requirements with such a low-calorie intake. Ensuring that nutrient-rich foods are consumed on non-fasting days becomes essential.

Unsustainability: Intermittent fasting approaches, including the 5:2 plan, may not be sustainable for everyone in the long term, and some individuals may regain weight once they return to regular eating patterns.

Not suitable for certain health conditions: Intermittent fasting may not be appropriate for certain groups, such as pregnant or breastfeeding women, individuals with a history of eating disorders, or those with certain medical conditions. Eat This Way To Lose Weight Healthily(https://bpdoctormed.com/blogs/healthy-eating-stratgies/eat-this-way-to-lose-weight-healthily)
Sting
12th Apr 2019 13:55:36
Thanks for voting!
I have never been a proponent of fad diets all my life as I subscribe to the school of thought that believes there are no shortcuts to weight loss - at least if you are looking to maintain it in the long-term. Exercise, good diet; exercise, good diet. That will win you the battle for sure. But I also believe we are entitled to spoil ourselves every so once in a while because life is too short to restrict yourself in the name of healthy eating.

As far as diets go, Intermittent fasting is something that has recently turned my head. After all, it's not one of those diets that limit you to a green smoothie in the morning, 2 egg whites for lunch and one baby carrot for dinner. I've not tried it myself, but various studies are waxing lyrical about, and it also seems to be getting a nod from some influential sites.

So I would say, if you don't want to take the long road, go for the 5:2 and see where it leads you. It's the best way to find out, right?
Couscous
22nd Mar 2019 10:42:12
Thanks for voting!
Coming to this late but 5:2 is not new to me. I first did 5:2 , 600 cals a day back in 2013 and was very successful losing 23 lb in around 4 months. It was hard to maintain at times but recently its founder Michael Mosley has developed a variation which my wife and me both do and find much more achievable. For 3 days a week we both eat 800 cals which makes it much easier to do and the weight does come off. I have lost 12lb in around 10 weeks, my wife 12lb.
The recent research by Prof Roy Taylor at Newcastle University into reversing T2 diabetes with an 800 cal per day diet was the impetus given to Michael Mosley developing his 5:2 variation to 800 cals. The other health benefits of course are internal with the reduction of fats and the improving medical markers reducing the chances of cancers, stroke and heart attack.
I recommend it to members.
Infinity4BUty
18th Jul 2017 18:54:21
Thanks for voting!
In reviewing some of the corresponding responses I'd like to know what is 5.2 and how does it work?
Krisy22
5th Dec 2015 21:16:50
Thanks for voting!
Hi I have been on 5 2 since August and have lost 17lbs. Love this way of life. Have tried all other diets to no avail. Just 2 days a week on 500 cals .. has got me there. Really enjoy those two rest days .... Will do this for ever. Brilliant.
plattr02
10th Oct 2015 12:34:20
Thanks for voting!
I lost a stone in approx 10 months on the 5-2 diet. It does work, but the idea that you can eat whatever you want on the 5 days is a myth.It took me a few weeks to realise this. The big plus for me was that my appetite gradually reduced till I no longer craved food. It's quite normal to go for long periods without eating, if you eat at 7.00 pm and then don't breakfast till 10.00am thats 15 hours. Dont believe you need 4 meals plus snacks each day. The major lesson you will learn from the 5-2 is that portion size is what you must recognise and control.I always filled my plate as though I had to fight the rest of the tribe for food, watch the queue at a lunch time carvery or all you can eat buffet, you'll see what I mean.Getting started and sticking at it is hard at first, you are changing how your digestion etc operates in a significant way, but you will be rewarded when you no longer feel ill, bloated, sick, or depressed from eating too much too often. BEST OF LUCK.

Marley444
3rd Aug 2015 23:50:52
Thanks for voting!
I have tried the 5:2 ... I find it quite difficult to stick to and get a bit grumpy by late afternoon. I am unsure if it really works to fast for a couple of days, and then eat whatever I want on the other 5. I have just invested in a Nutribullet, so I think I might concentrate on a balanced diet, with more vegetables and other things in moderation. I don't think these exclusion diets work!
Silversurfers Editor Original Poster
15th Jul 2014 16:56:19
Thanks for voting!
What an amazing outcome!! Well done 🙂
driverds
15th Jul 2014 15:54:18
Thanks for voting!
I tried it but felt too unwell on the '2' days.

Then in September my wife challenged me to lose 10lb in 90 days and found it so easy, went on to lose 34lb. by January 31st. Never felt better. (Till she showed me the before and after pics I didn't even think I was that fat):-D
stanthemanc
25th Jun 2014 08:58:55
Thanks for voting!
I tried the 5:2 diet and within a month I had dropped from a 38" waist to a 36" and so far (1 year) have maintained it. I think that as far as losing weight goes, each one of us must find what suits us best and 5:2 did it for me.

themanc
rabbit
8th Apr 2014 21:30:20
Thanks for voting!
I tried this for a couple of weeks about a month ago ... I still can't seem to make sense of restricting eating for two days, and then eating anything on the other 5. It is very difficult to see instant results on the scales ... I think I have a willpower problem, as I have lost the motivation to continue now!

Community Terms & Conditions

Content standards

These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.

You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.

Contributions must:

be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.

Contributions must not:

contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.

Nurturing a safe environment

Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.

We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!