Will you continue to use scented candles?

It has recently been reported in the Daily Mail and on the BBC News that lives are being put at risk saying that scented candles, along with everyday kitchen products, faulty boilers, open fires, fly sprays, air fresheners, deodorants, DIY and cleaning products, can cause harm as they contribute to poor indoor air quality.

The headline was:  “The silent killer in your home: Scented candles and air fresheners ‘are adding to pollution that kills 40,000 people a year in UK'”

The warning comes from a joint study by the Royal College of Physicians and the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health to be published this week. The danger of pollution in the street from car fumes is well understood, but many people are ignorant of the risks from air inside the home. The report warns that while young children and the elderly are particularly sensitive to air pollution, it can have an adverse impact on all age groups.

The report, Every Breath We Take, warns that at least 40,000 deaths a year in the UK can be linked to the effect of air pollution outside and inside the home.

Will this latest report make you rethink about the air quality in your home?  Do you burn scented candles and have plug-in air fresheners? Will you continue to use these products? Will you still but them as gifts?

Loading Poll

What are your views?

We'd love to hear your comments

Loading Comments