Explore the Norwegian Fjords
Visit Norway and you’ll return to nature with spectacular scenery, the incomparable fjords, picturesque waterfalls and the freshest of mountain air. You will be amazed at the breath-taking beauty of the landscape all around – it makes for a great holiday!
Take a look at this video for a short tour of Norway’s Fjords and read about the top destinations to visit below.
Oslo – Cool capital and charming countryside
- The Oslo Region offers a modern city, full of culture, excellent shopping and amazing cuisine, as well as being extremely close to nature.
- Must-sees in Oslo include the stunning Italian marble Opera House, the new Ekebergpark Sculpture Park and Ekberg restaurant, as well as the many designer boutiques and cosy cafés dotted around the city.
- This naturally stunning region is ideal to explore by public transport or by car.
- The public transport system is first class, whether it is bus, train or expressboat.
- The great round trips by Fjord Tours are a perfect way to get around by public transport, just hop on and hop off!
Ålesund – Voted ‘Norway’s most beautiful city’
- Destroyed by flames in 1904, Ålesund was rebuilt in the Art Nouveau style, like a phoenix from the flames, with numerous turrets, gargoyles and medieval romantic touches.
- Ålesund is ‘the adventure capital of the Fjords’ and the natural starting point for an active holiday in Fjord Norway.
- It is perfectly placed for exploring both the Geirangerfjord and Hjørundfjord, as well as the Trollstigen and Atlantic Road.
Bergen – The gateway to the fjords
- Bryggen, the historic and atmospheric Hanseatic wharf, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, dates back to the late middle ages and is a must-see.
- Within minutes of Bergen, you are in wonderful countryside nestled in between the spectacular fjords – Sognefjord to the north, Hardangerfjord to the south.
Stavanger – For a short break with a natural high
- Pulpit Rock with its breathtaking views rises 604 metres over the Lysefjord. Adventurous types can enjoy the beautiful nature on a hike to the top.
- The less energetic can see the sights from the comfort of a boat trip.
- Old Stavanger is a delight to stroll around, with its white wooden houses, quaint quayside, narrow cobbled streets with mountain views in every direction.
For more information visit: http://www.visitnorway.com/
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Iconic Trips for your Bucket List - August 17, 2017
- The “Oops” and Downs at Ideal World TV Shopping - August 17, 2017
- Would you choose a Walnut Whip without the nut? - August 16, 2017
- From Student to Surgeon: training to become a cardiothoracic surgeon - August 15, 2017
- How to Pay for 24/7 Live-in Care - August 14, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!