5 things to remember when travelling now that we have left the EU

Now the UK has left the EU, there are a few changes to travel that you need to keep in mind. Here are five of the most important.

With Brexit finally taking place, many of us were left wondering how it would affect our travel within the EU.

With that in mind, keep reading to find out about the five most important things to remember about travelling now that we’ve left the EU.

1. Travel limits

As of 1 January 2021, there are new limits on how long you can go to Europe for as part of the travel agreement between the UK and the EU. You’ll be able to travel to Europe for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You can travel to Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, and Romania with no effect on your 90 day total, though.

To stay longer, or if you’re travelling to work or study, you’ll usually need a visa.

2. New passports

Not everyone will need a new passport right away, but it’s worth checking to make sure you comply with the new rules before you book your trip.

Your passport needs to be no more than 10 years old, and with fewer than six months until it expires.

If either of the above isn’t true, you’ll need to get a new (blue) passport – make sure to apply in plenty of time, though.

3. Health insurance card

European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) have been used to provide subsides healthcare for people travelling in the EU.

Following Brexit, the EHIC has been replaced by the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) for travellers visiting the EU from the UK.

GHICs work in the same way as EHICs, giving you access to free/subsidised healthcare in European countries, but there are some exceptions.

Any EHICs issued before the end of 2020 will be valid until they expire. And, moving forward, all new health insurance cards issued by the NHS will be GHICs.

4. The airport

There are a few changes to make not of on your way through the airport post-Brexit.

Firstly, you won’t be able to use the EU fast-track passport control and customs lines anymore.

You might also need to show proof of a return ticket and/or proof you can afford your stay when you enter a European country.

You’ll still be able to use duty-free, but new limits on tobacco and alcohol will apply for passengers going in both directions between the UK and the EU.

5. Travel insurance and pet passports

Pet passports will no longer be valid for travel to the EU following Brexit. Instead, you’ll have to get an Animal Healthcare Certificate (AHC).

These need to be administered by a vet no more than 10 days before you travel, and will be valid for four months.

Travel insurance is as essential in travelling to the EU as it is anywhere else in the world – in fact, the NHS recommend you take out a travel insurance policy as well as your GHIC.

To be able to get a travel insurance policy, you’ll need a valid EHIC/GHIC.

It doesn’t just protect you from medical expenses, though. Travel insurance can provide you with cover for other things like cancellations, personal items, and travel disruptions.

It’s there to give you peace of mind that, should something go wrong on your holiday, you’ll have a helping hand there to support you through it.

Take out a travel insurance policy with Avanti today for cover that’s with you all the way.



Leave a Comment!

Not a member?

You need to be a member to interact with Silversurfers. Joining is free and simple to do. Click the button below to join today!

Click here if you have forgotten your password

Community Terms & Conditions

Content standards

These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.

You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.

Contributions must:

be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.

Contributions must not:

contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.

Nurturing a safe environment

Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.

We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!