The new way to celebrate? Tailor-make the holiday of your dreams.
There’s been a lot of talk over the last few years on the subject of bucket lists, those personal catalogues of what we want to do and where we want to go in our lifetime.
While once the trend was to book a package trip and cross a few places off your list, these days savvy travellers are asking more from their holidays, with completely bespoke trips offering once-in-a-lifetime experiences that are unique to them.
Companies like adventure travel experts Explore have noticed this trend, and have the perfect solution: tailor-made travel. This is the anti-package holiday. Choose where you want to go from a long list of iconic destinations, from Peru to Sri Lanka. Select how you want to get there, pick your hotels, your transfer options, your itinerary and how you want to get around – design your holiday to fit you and your budget. If planning your holiday from scratch sounds mind boggling then don’t worry – they have a fantastic team of people to talk you through all the options, from tours of the Okavango Delta in a mokoro (a type of canoe) in Botswana to sleeping under stars in the Sahara Desert.
While it’s not something you might choose to do for every holiday, it’s the perfect way to celebrate a special occasion. Toast to an important wedding anniversary, a big birthday or perhaps a long-overdue retirement by fulfilling one of your bucket-list adventures in style.
Here are a few of the things you could tick off your bucket list on an Explore tailor-made holiday:
- Trek the iconic Inca Trail up to Machu Picchu, arriving at the Sun Gate to see the citadel spread out below you. You can then explore the Sacred Valley further with hiking, bike riding or cooking classes, or head to the beach at Mancora to relax after your trek.
- Get up close to Sri Lanka’s incredible wildlife, seeing elephants gather at Minneriya, searching for leopards in Wilpattu National Park or whales migrating off the coast of Mirissa. On a tailor-made trip you can scope out lesser-visited national parks, veering away from the usual tourist trail.
- Spend a weekend exploring the forgotten city of Petra, following your expert guide through the narrow passageway of the siq to stand in front of the magnificent Treasury. Cool down after the desert heat with a buoyant dip in the Dead Sea.
- Hop aboard a private safari jeep to enjoy privileged access to Tanzania’s most famous residents, the Big Five. Your photographic guide can point out lions, leopards, elephants and rhinos, returning to sleep in a luxury treehouse or camp in the perfect spot to view the annual migration.
- Get up early for the best time to view the Taj Mahal, without the crowds and with the morning mists swirling around the marble towers, your local guide illuminating the story of love and loss which inspired the mausoleum’s inception.
If that’s inspired your wanderlust, why not visit Explore to see what else you could do on your holiday to remember? To celebrate 10 years since the launch of Explore Tailormade, Explore is offering up to £300 off all tailor-made holidays when you book before 13 November 2017 – just quote ‘Tailormade offer’ at the time of booking.
From South Africa to Sri Lanka, where will your adventure take you?
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!