Enjoy an archaeological adventure with Professor Mark Horton this Spring
Release your inner Indiana Jones with Professor Mark Horton, of BBC Coast fame, and his team for an exclusive 5 days of low-ratio professional archaeological training, exploration and adventure, whilst enjoying a luxurious holiday and help us uncover the story of the Lost Colonists.
Digworld offers unique opportunities to actually take part in important university run archaeological digs across the world, whilst enjoying the pleasures of a luxury holiday and charitably supporting academic research.
Our next trip is based on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and led by Professor Horton. The early European colonisation of America was a complex and tumultuous time that shaped the early modern world. The ‘Lost Colony’ story is one very early mystery of this fascinating time. Join our established and renowned Bristol University project on the Carolina Outer Banks, excavating the original settlement, exploring the local area and looking for the ‘lost colonists’. We’ll also visit Ocracoke, the location of Black Beards last stand.
We’ll be staying at the fantastic Inn on Pimlico Sound, a full service boutique hotel offering world class waterfront accommodation, fine dining and gourmet catering on North Carolina’s Outer Banks. The Inn provides a casually elegant lodging and culinary experience in the midst of the natural beauty of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore.
Carolina Adventurer – itinerary
6 days, March 2016
Leader: Professor Mark Horton
Your adventure will include:
- lectures and briefing on the project, historical framework, local and relevant archaeological research
- daily site briefings and tours
- access to key academics and research staff
- key note lecture from Professor Horton
- guided field trip to Ocracoke Island, site of Black Beards last stand
- low ratio training in key aspects of archaeological excavation and technique including: Excavation skills, finds processing, planning, recording and post excavation
- team celebration dinner and presentation
- all breakfasts, snacks, lunches and dinners
- plenty of time to relax and enjoy our luxury hotel and the local area
We organise your stay, archaeological training, trips, food and entertainment – you just have to get yourself to the location and leave the rest to Digworld.
Prices from £1995
We’re offering Silversurfer members a 15% discount, just enter the code ‘archaeology’ when booking.
Places are very limited, although only a £50 refundable holding deposit is taken at this stage.
Find out more & reserve your place here
Call us on: +44 1225 941021
Email us on: [email protected]
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Something to sing about, by Janice Wilkinson - October 22, 2016
- By Ron Adams - October 22, 2016
- Where do you think the extra runway should be built – Heathrow or Gatwick? - October 21, 2016
- Beach breaks in Goa - October 21, 2016
- Peace & Tranquility in Your Home Away from Home - October 21, 2016