Top 5 things to do in the Kremlin
It’s surprisingly full of wonders – eggs, diamonds and dresses, not to mention a giant bell. This is no longer a place to be feared, rather enjoyed.
The Kremlin is an extraordinary walled complex, in the centre of Moscow, with a settlement first established there in the second century BC. It has an exciting history having been lived in by Tsars, occupied by various conquering armies and extensively renovated by Catherine the Great in 1773. It contains five palaces and 4 cathedrals, along with many treasures, large and small.
It is still the seat of the Russian government and has recently gained a most modern addition, a helipad. Open again to tourists since 1995, after the Communist era, the museums contain some of the most fascinating objects of the Imperial rulers. Despite the turbulent events of history it has witnessed, the Kremlin is magnificent.
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Win a free pair of shoes from Hotter worth £129 - August 1, 2021
- Win ONE of THREE copies of Life in Colour with David Attenborough on DVD! - August 1, 2021
- Win ONE of TEN Allium Superglobe mix bundles! - July 31, 2021
- How to Sell Your Car for the Best Price - July 28, 2021
- Advice for expats heading home - July 28, 2021