21 things you only know if you bake your own bread
Grab a plate, a slice of homemade bread and a pat of butter – we’re with you.
It’s Real Bread week from 21st February so, if you’re one of the valiant few who get up at dawn to rustle up your own sun-dried tomato focaccia and sesame seed bagels, you should be able to relate to these 21 points…
1. Your friends may have pets and kids, but you have your sourdough starter and it needs you. Only people into fermenting their own sauerkraut seem to understand.
2. There is no pizza better than the kind whose dough you made with your bare hands – even if you haven’t quite got the knack of doing the pizzeria dough spin yet.
3. You feel incredibly proud when a friend comes to you to ask for a bit of your (much-loved) sourdough starter to get them going, but also kind of sad at letting your baby out into the world.
4. These muscles come from kneading, not bench-pressing.
5. Baking cakes might be a kind of science, but baking bread? That’s an art form.
6. There is a silent war between those who use breadmakers, and those who bake bread by hand – pick a side, and stick with it.
7. Never are you more smug than when people drop by for brunch and you can pull a freshly baked loaf out of the oven.
8. The bottom draw of the freezer is forever filled with the odd ends of loaves for emergency hunger pangs – all they need is a toaster and a pile of scrambled eggs.
9. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you try, and no matter how expert you become, no baguette you make ever compares to a baguette bought from an actual French bakery in France. It must be a butter thing.
10. Paul Hollywood is your culinary hero, and no, you’re not ashamed.
11. It’s all in the proof, it really is.
12. Every time you see a loaf of bread, you can’t help but want to turn it over and inspect the crustiness of its base.
13. All you really need in life is a hunk of bread and a similarly sized hunk of butter.
14. Who needs a holy trinity when you have flour, salt, water and yeast?
15. A fair amount of your time is spent either laying on the floor by the oven, checking your rise, or searching for the perfect ratio of air holes to loaf size.
16. A soft crust is a crushing disappointment.
17. Your idea of a great night in involves different kinds of rye flour and a whole lot of fancy seeds.
18. The word ‘pumpernickel’ brings you a lot of joy.
19. Plain white supermarket bread trapped in their suffocating plastic packaging makes you so sad, you have to rush past the bread aisle when you do your weekly shop.
20. People who leave their crusts are not welcome in your home.
21. The only thing better than homemade bread? Homemade bread IN homemade bread and butter pudding.
Oh, and there’s no argument, homemade really does taste better…
Do you make your own?
The Press Association
Latest posts by The Press Association (see all)
- How to grow leeks in celebration of St David’s Day - March 1, 2021
- It’s almost spring! Time to get a head start on gardening jobs - March 1, 2021
- Captain Sir Tom Moore’s spirit lives on, family tells funeral service - February 27, 2021
- Our pick of the most spectacular images up for the Sony World Photography Awards 2021 - February 25, 2021
- How do you make time for yourself? - February 25, 2021
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!