Grand Marnier Soufflé recipe
Enjoy a taste of Provence with this Grand Marnier Soufflé, served at chef Alain Ducasse’s restaurant and inn, L’Hostellerie de l’Abbaye de La Celle.
Grand Marnier Soufflé by Nicolas Pierantoni, chef at L’Hostellerie de l’Abbaye de La Celle
(Makes 6 ramekins)
For the base:
50g egg yolk or around 2 large eggs
8g cream powder (as used in crème pâtissière)
Zest of an orange
For the soufflé:
200g egg white or around 7 eggs
8ml Grand Marnier
Butter for greasing
For the sponge:
100g egg yolk or around 5 eggs
180g egg white or around 6 eggs
60g potato starch
For the syrup:
1. Make the base. Boil the milk with the orange zest. Mix the egg yolks with the sugar to blanch them and add the cornflour and cream powder. Pour the milk over the mixture and return to the heat. Let the mixture boil for one minute and then put it in a dish. Cover in cling film, making sure the film is touching the cream to avoid the formation of a crust and allow to cool.
2. Make the sponge. Mix the egg yolks with the 80g sugar. Separately whip the egg whites, then add the whipped egg whites and the 30g sugar to the yolk/sugar mix. Stir in the flour and starch. Mix gently until the texture is even. Spread the mixture on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for eight minutes at 200°C. Remove the sponge from the baking tray. Cut out discs measuring 65mm and then soak them in the syrup – just bring the water, sugar and orange peel to a boil to make that syrup.
3. Make the soufflé. Grease the ramekins with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Warm the cream base and whisk in the Grand Marnier. Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and add the sugar. Gently add the whites to the cream base. Fill the ramekins to a third with the cream base and place the sponge on top. Finish filling the ramekins with the cream. To allow the soufflé to rise well, gently pass your thumb around the edge of the ramekin. Bake at 185°C for 12 minutes. Serve.
The Press Association
Latest posts by The Press Association (see all)
- Life on the inside: 10 things pet owners need to know about lockdown - April 1, 2020
- 10 ways to support an isolated elderly relative - March 31, 2020
- 50 years without The Beatles – the biggest band break-up in history - March 31, 2020
- 15 bizarre things you never knew about cats - March 30, 2020
- Mr Motivator’s 6 steps for staying mentally and physically strong in lockdown - March 30, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!