10 Clever Uses for Lemons
Bright, zesty and fragrant, lemons are one of the most popular citrus fruits – but if you just use them for cooking, you’re missing a trick!
Today we’re bringing you 10 clever uses for lemons that you haven’t heard before.
- Refresh your cutting boards – Heavy wooden chopping boards are great for cooking, but can slowly absorb the smell of foods like garlic, fish and onion. Sanitise your cutting board and get rid of the smell with the cut side of a lemon and some salt. Sprinkle over with salt and use the lemon to rub in.
- Crispen lettuce – Don’t throw away soggy lettuce when it’s still good. Instead, add lemon juice to a bowl of cold water. Add your soggy lettuce and refrigerate for an hour. Let the leaves dry out and they’ll be revived and ready to add to your salad.
- Whiten nails – Cheap nail polish can stain nails. Instead of an expensive salon manicure, squeeze half a lemon into a small bowl of warm water and let your fingers soak for five minutes. It’ll help remove any nail polish residue and brighten the tips of your nails, too.
- Bleach delicates – Harsh bleach is great for brightening your white laundry but can be too harsh for some fabrics. Instead, soak your delicates in a mixture of lemon juice and baking soda. After 30 minutes, they’ll be ready to wash and come out looking brighter than ever.
- Boost your detergent – Lemon isn’t good for just delicates. Adding a cup of lemon juice to your washer will naturally brighten your clothing, fight stains and remove calcium and rush from your wash cycle.
- Natural bug spray – A simple yet effective bug spray is as simple as a mix of lemon or lemon essential oil mixed with olive oil. Put it in a spray bottle or rub a light layer over skin as a bug spray. You can also place lemon slices in a bowl of water to naturally deter insects like fruit flies from your kitchen.
- Teeth whitening treatment – You can make your own gentle teeth whitening treatment with the help of lemon juice and baking soda. Mix together to make a paste and apply to your teeth. Leave for 60 seconds to help break down the coating that is colouring your teeth.
- Freshen your bin – If you only empty your bin once a week, it can often start to smell no matter what you do. Help fight off foul smells by squeezing a lemon into the bin and then adding the rind.
- Unclog your drain – Don’t pour chemicals down a clogged drain. Next time, try this trick instead. Pour boiling water down your drain, followed by half a box of baking soda. Follow with a cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice. The juice will react with the baking soda, clearing your drain as it moves through the pipes.
- Remove limescale deposits – Limescale spots are easy to remove with the help of lemon without damaging the finish of the material underneath. Fill the kettle a quarter of the way with lemon juice and water. Leave to soak for an hour, top the kettle up and boil. Pour the water away then rinse with cold water to remove any traces of lemon juice.
Do you know any clever uses for lemons? Let us know in the comments below!
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!