Vienna tops number two singles poll
Ultravox hit Vienna was hailed as an honorary chart-topper today after being named the nation’s favourite number two single.
The single triumphed in a national poll by Radio 2 and the Official Charts Company to find the greatest track to narrowly miss out on the top slot.
Vienna, with its moody, dry ice-filled black-and-white promo, was held off number one by novelty track Shaddup You Face by US-born Australian Joe Dolce.
The Ultravox song’s triumph left The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl single Fairytale Of New York as the all-time number two number two. The 1987 Christmas hit was originally held in check by the Pet Shop Boys cover of Elvis Presley’s hit Always On My Mind.
The poll was launched to celebrate 60 years of the singles chart. DJ Tony Blackburn was among a panel of experts – including Radio 2’s Ken Bruce and Janice Long, Radio 1’s Annie Nightingale, Official Charts Company managing director Martin Talbot and 6 Music’s Steve Lamacq – who compiled a shortlist from 941 singles which have made it to number two. Radio 2 listeners then voted.
Ultravox frontman Midge Ure said: “We are extremely pleased and very humbled to have been given this honorary number one, especially knowing the outstanding records which were also in the running – Strawberry Fields, Hound Dog and Wonderwall to name just a few.
“A huge thanks to everyone who took the time and effort to vote for Vienna. It has restored our faith in the idea that the public will always recognise the good in music, and that this song has proved this.”
:: The top 10 is as follows: (with the song that held it off in brackets)
1. Ultravox – Vienna, 1981 (Shaddup You Face – Joe Dolce)
2. The Pogues feat. Kirsty MacColl – Fairytale Of New York, 1987 (Always On My Mind – Pet Shop Boys)
3. Don McLean – American Pie, 1972 (Son Of My Father – Chicory Tip, Without You – Nilsson)
4. James – Sit Down, 1991 (The One And Only – Chesney Hawkes)
5. The Stranglers – Golden Brown, 1982 (Town Called Malice – The Jam)
6. The Kinks – Waterloo Sunset, 1967 (Silence Is Golden, The Tremeloes)
7. The Beatles – Penny Lane/Strawberry Fields Forever, 1967 (Release Me, Engelbert Humperdinck)
8. Queen – We Are The Champions, 1977 (The Name Of The Game – Abba, Mull Of Kintyre/Girls’ School – Wings)
9. The Beach Boys – God Only Knows, 1966 (Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby – The Beatles)
10. A-ha – Take On Me, 1985 (The Power Of Love, Jennifer Rush)
Have you got a favourite single that wasn’t recognised with a number 1 slot?
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Top 10 New UK Special Interest Breaks From Shearings Holidays - February 20, 2017
- Is a Jaffa Cake a biscuit or a cake? - February 20, 2017
- The Active Collection from Hotter - February 20, 2017
- Enjoy the benefits of owning a dog without the comittment - February 20, 2017
- Win a case of wine up to the value of £250! - February 19, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!