Wholemeal muffins with oats, cream cheese and green kiwifruit
Start the day off with a delicious muffin that doubles as complete and nourishing breakfast rich in fibre, vitamin C, potassium and folic acid.
Makes: 8 Prep time: 50 minutes
- 180 g wholemeal flour
- 80 g rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 200 g low-fat cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons soy or oat milk
- 1 Zespri Green Kiwifruit, peeled and blended
- For the frosting:
- 200 g low-fat cream cheese
- 2 Zespri Green Kiwifruit
- 35 g agave syrup
- Beat the eggs with the low-fat cream cheese, plant-based milk and honey. Stir the blended kiwifruit into the mixture. Sift the flour with the baking powder then add the flour and rolled oats to the rest of ingredients. Put the mixture in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow the oat flakes to soak up the liquid.
- Spoon the mixture into silicone moulds or ramekins lined with muffin cases and bake in the oven at 200 ºC (180 ºC Fan) for 30 minutes. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the frosting, beat the low-fat cream cheese together with the agave syrup and a blended kiwifruit. Leave to thicken in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Spread the frosting over the muffins with a palette knife or use a piping bag, then decorate them with slices of kiwifruit and serve at once.
Recipe courtesy of Zespri Kiwi
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Clever uses for cling film - August 23, 2019
- Keep learning with the best Open University courses - August 22, 2019
- How dating online can expand your options - August 21, 2019
- Should Bake Off feature more silver bakers? - August 20, 2019
- Grown-up burger recipes for National Burger Day! - August 20, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!