Kilner jar salad
Light, easy lunches are just the ticket as the weather gets warmer and the days get longer.
This kilner jar salad is perfect for when you want a healthy lunch on the go – fresh black pepper and balsamic vinegar dressing complements the sweetness of the strawberries, and because you assemble and serve it in the same dish it saves extra washing up!
Serves: 1 Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 100g chickpeas rinsed and drained
- Handful of rocket
- 250g Viva Strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 100g feta cubed
- 1 tbsp shredded mint
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- You’ll need a 500g kilner jar or similar.
- First pour the balsamic vinegar and olive oil into the jar, and season with a pinch of salt and a generous grind of black pepper. Shake the jar to mix ingredients.
- Then, beginning with the chickpeas layer up the ingredients within the jar, finishing with the feta and mint. It is important not to have the salad leaves next to the dressing as the vinegar will cause the leaves to wilt. Squeeze the lemon over the top of the salad, and seal the jar.
- When ready to eat, shake the jar to coat the salad in the dressing and then enjoy straight from the jar. Store upright.
You can make this salad the traditional way and serve it to your family. Simply times the portions by the number of people you’ll be serving and make the salad ahead of time. When you’re ready to eat, pour the dressing over for a light easy salad that tastes great with chicken or fish.
Watch the video
Recipe courtesy of www.vivastrawberry.co.uk
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- What should Prince Harry and Meghan name their first child? - October 22, 2018
- Try a new hobby this autumn - October 19, 2018
- Curry recipes for one - October 18, 2018
- Slow cooker pork, shallot and red pepper goulash - October 18, 2018
- Storage hints and tips to make your food last longer - October 17, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!