Tatin of Shallots and Port with Creamy Goat’s Cheese
This delicious tatin of shallots has port and creamy goat’s cheese, creating a rich, moreish dish that’s perfect for lunch or served as a starter.
Serves: 4 as a starter or 2 as a main Prep time: 30 minutes Cooking time: 20 – 25 minutes
You Will Need
- 250g puff pastry
- 50g butter
- 300g peeled whole round shallots
- Salt and pepper
- 250ml port
- 10g Dijon mustard
- 10g honey
- 10ml white wine vinegar
- 50ml olive oil or hazelnut oil
- 100g goat’s cheese
- 50g whole blanched toasted hazelnuts or walnuts
- 50g wild rocket
What to Do
- Roll out the puff pastry to 10 inch round.
- Add 50g of the butter to an 8 inch non-stick pan and allow to melt, then add the peeled shallots and season with the salt and pepper.
- Cook on top of the stove gently or even in the oven until the shallots are ¾ cooked.
- Add the port to the hot pan and cook on the top of the stove until all of the port has evaporated. Take the pan off the heat and allow the shallots to go cold.
- Cover with the pastry and tuck the pastry down the sides of the pan to completely obscure the Shallots from your vision. Prick a few times with the tip of a small knife.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven at 180c for 20–25 minutes.
- Whilst it is in the oven make your vinaigrette by mixing the mustard, honey and vinegar together. Then slowly add in the oil to ensure the vinaigrette comes together and emulsifies.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to settle for 5 minutes before turning out on to your chosen service dish.
- Crumble over the goat’s cheese and scatter round the toasted hazelnuts.
- Liberally spoon around the vinaigrette and scatter over the wild rocket and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of: www.UKshallot.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!