Countering Cataracts – Advanced Lens Replacement
The amazing sense of sight is widely accepted to be of vital importance to our health and quality of life, but a silent condition often left untreated for considerable time continues to impact the vision of many older British residents.
In the UK alone, 1 in 3 over 65’s suffer from cataracts, a build-up of proteins inside the eyes natural lens that can result in cloudy vision. So what can be done to ensure symptoms are quickly identified and treated?
Leading Ophthalmic Surgeons believe the misconceptions surrounding cataracts, their treatment and the fears associated with degenerative eye disease often result in patients not seeking a consultation sooner. Dr Shafiq Rehman, Medical Director at Bettersight Advanced Eye & Vision Consultancy says “cataracts can be treated with a ten minute operation regardless of the stage they are diagnosed, but the level of sight lost through delaying diagnosis is always detrimental to the patient’s quality of life – so why wait?”
Dr. Rehman continues, “Four common misconceptions that I come across are the following:
- • Cataracts are formed by a film growing across the eye – NOT TRUE! In fact it is clouding inside the natural lens. Removal of cataract is followed by replacement with a synthetic lens implant normally at the same time.
- • Cataracts have to be ripe before treatment can be carried out. Again NOT TRUE! In fact we often carry out cataract surgery at an earlier stage these days because the surgery is so safe and effective.
- • The eye has to be ‘popped out onto the cheek’ to have cataract surgery – NOT TRUE! – The eye firmly remains in its place for treatment that is often remarkably pain free.
- • Cataract surgery on the NHS is exactly the same as cataract surgery in the independent sector. NOT TRUE! State of the art LASER systems such as LENSAR are now available that promise even higher levels of safety, accuracy and precision than ever before”.
Although research is in progress to develop medication to stem the tide of cataract development, the current solution is currently confined to surgery, involving the replacement of the cloudy lens with a polymer substitute. However, recent innovations that mirror the renowned Clarivu procedure have resulted in treatments very similar to Refractive Lens Replacement with lens implants that improve vision through the use of multifocal and trifocal lens implants. Such highly advanced lens implants can help to minimise the need for glasses after surgery even for reading and other close work as well as general viewing. This customised approach with cataract surgery provides similar benefits to laser eye surgery but with the added benefit that it can last permanently.
For a Cataract consultation or a free Clarivu consultation contact Bettersight Advanced Eye & Vision Consultancy today on 0800 5593 700 or email [email protected].
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Is sleeping in separate beds the beginning of the end? - January 16, 2017
- Get back to doing the things you enjoy - January 16, 2017
- Are you a Flexitarian? - January 14, 2017
- Why you should be setting sail on an ocean cruise this year - January 13, 2017
- Streamline raspberry breakfast yoghurt - January 11, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!