Spring usually arrives around mid-March and with longer sunny days there is a greater opportunity for an increasing range of gardening tasks to be carried out.
Shrubs, plants and trees have been dormant for some months, and now is when life returns to all things green, and it is time to get back out in the garden!
Frosts can still be a hazard, and even snow, so keep vulnerable plants protected at night if frost is forecast. March winds are also notorious for their ferocity so check exposed plants are well supported.
Now is the time for a thorough spring clean; weed and dig over your borders incorporating as much organic matter as you can – those chilly winds will really help to dry out the soil. Mulch bare soil once you have done the work and remove moss and weeds from paths, terraces and driveways. They may be boring tasks but if you don’t get on top of the garden now (especially the weeds!) it will be a nightmare for the rest of the season.
During the month of March the time is right to get busy preparing seed beds, sowing seed, cutting back winter shrubs and generally tidying up around the garden.
Top 10 jobs this month
1. Plant shallots, onion sets and First Early potatoes, and chit Second Earlies and Maincrop potatoes
2. Protect new spring shoots from slugs, both in flower beds and containers
3. Plant summer-flowering bulbs and tubers (gladiola, lilies and dahlias)
4. Lift and divide overgrown clumps of perennials
5. Top dress containers with fresh compost
6. Book Mower in for a service if needed and mow the lawn on dry days (if needed)
7. Cut back Cornus (dogwood) and Salix (willow) grown for colourful winter stems
8. Weeds come back in to growth – deal with them now before they spread and become out of control
9. Roses can be pruned this month. Severe pruning results in nicer long stemmed flowers and more compact bushes.
10. When it is warm enough, treat sheds, fences and trellis with wood preservative
How do you deal with weeds and slugs?
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Peace & Tranquility in Your Home Away from Home - October 21, 2016
- Sunset in Abbotsbury, Dorset by Patty Ball - October 20, 2016
- How to Make a Scrapbook with a CEWE PHOTOBOOK - October 20, 2016
- Falling in Love with André Rieu - October 20, 2016
- A field of beauty’, by Irene Herbert - October 20, 2016