Listed below are your top 10 gardening jobs for the month of August. With the warm weather watering and feeding are an essential job!
1. Prune Wisteria – follow this video guide
2. Don’t delay summer pruning restricted fruits
3. Deadhead flowering plants regularly
4. Watering! Particularly containers, and new plants – preferably with grey recycled water or stored rainwater
5. Collect seed from favourite plants
6. Harvest sweetcorn and other vegetables as they become ready
7. Continue cutting out old fruited canes on raspberries
8. Lift and pot up rooted strawberry runners
9. Keep ponds and water features topped up
10. Feed the soil with green manures
Keep baskets happy
Don’t neglect hanging baskets – deadheading, watering and feeding will help them last through until autumn. Every time you pass your baskets, do a bit of deadheading and it won’t seem such an arduous task! Feed containers, and even tired border perennials, with a liquid tomato food each week to encourage them to bloom into the early autumn.
Join the RHS from just £39
Enjoy free garden visits, personalised advice and discounted shows tickets
If you’re proud of your homegrown fruit and veg, get it ready for the Rosemoor local produce show. At RHS Garden Rosemoor, in Devon, the show on August 17, promises to be great fun for adults and children, with categories for everyone to enter and the chance to win vouchers for the Rosemoor Gift Shop. There will also be cookery demonstrations and workshops
If you’re looking after the grandchildren this summer, navigate your way to RHS Garden Harlow Carr, Harrogate, and have fun exploring the gardens, with an introductory orienteering course on Sunday August 11. All you have to do is follow the map from checkpoint to checkpoint, using a special electronic ‘dibber’ to record how long it takes you to complete the course. Never tried orienteering before? Never fear, there will be plenty of helpers to assist you. Courses are open from 10am until 4pm and included in garden entry fee.
Listen to the latest RHS podcast
Listen to our latest podcast, where we offer seasonal information, you can hear tips on growing fruit and veg, and get up-to-the-minute help and advice.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Something to sing about, by Janice Wilkinson - October 22, 2016
- By Ron Adams - October 22, 2016
- Where do you think the extra runway should be built – Heathrow or Gatwick? - October 21, 2016
- Beach breaks in Goa - October 21, 2016
- Peace & Tranquility in Your Home Away from Home - October 21, 2016