Top 15 Attractions in Rome
If you’re considering a Roman holiday, here are 15 fabulous attractions you won’t want to miss…
- The Vatican City, a unique city-state within Rome that acts as the headquarters of the Roman Catholic Church.
- The Colossseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, this ancient structure is the largest amphitheatre ever built.
- The Spanish Steps, constructed between 1723 and 1725, the Spanish Steps comprise 135 steps linking the Piazza di Spagna at the bottom and the Trinita dei Monti church at the top.
- The Piazza di Spagna – on your visit to the Spanish Steps, you should certainly explore the Piazza di Spagna, where you’ll find the Fontana della Barcaccia, an ornate Baroque fountain.
- Trinita dei Monti – this 16th-century church is located atop the famous Spanish Steps and is well worth discovering in its own right.
- The Column of the Immaculate Conception – this 19th-century monument celebrates the story of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and is located near the Piazza di Spagna.
- St Peter’s Square, a large plaza located in front of St Peter’s Basilica in the Vatican City. At the centre of the square sits an imposing Egyptian obelisk standing at 25.5 metres tall.
- The Sistine Chapel – this world-famous chapel is located in the Apostolic Palace, the Pope’s official residence. The Sistine Chapel ceiling was famously painted by Michelangelo between 1508 and 1512, and it’s still a truly awe-inspiring sight today.
- The Trevi Fountain – Rome’s largest Baroque fountain dates back to 1762 and has been seen in many famous films, such as La Dolce Vita.
- The Pantheon is a stunning Roman temple built between 118 and 128 AD; this is an essential part of Rome’s history and a must-see on any visit to Rome.
- Via Condotti, offering a beguiling blend of historical architecture and fashionable shopping, this street is a must for keen historians and forward-looking fashionistas.
- Piazza del Popolo, a large urban square whose name translates as ‘People’s Square’, the Piazza del Popolo is a splendid example of early Roman neoclassical architecture.
- All Saints’ Church – an English-speaking Anglican church used today for concerts and services.
- Galleria Alberto Sordi, this shopping gallery was built in a stunning Art Nouveau style, giving it an exquisitely stylish ambience. A must for shopaholics and fans of architecture alike.
- Borghese Gallery an art gallery housing an amazing collection of paintings, sculptures and antiques. A true treasure trove of Roman history.
Discover all of this and more with one of Shearings’ holidays to Italy, many of which explore Rome with included and optional excursions. Visit the official website at www.shearings.com to find even more holidays in the UK and Europe, or call Shearings’ friendly and helpful Reservations team on 0844 824 6351 now.
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Would you be happy sharing your local woodland with top predators? - July 18, 2019
- 6 common suncare mistakes not to make this summer - July 15, 2019
- Thai Fragrant Coconut King Prawn Curry - July 15, 2019
- I’m Over 50, so what are my Life Insurance options? - July 15, 2019
- Do you have this common digestive disorder? - July 12, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!