When the winter blues sneak in, make for warmer climes and catch better weather on a cruise. Cruising is a great way to get out and enjoy new places while enjoying the best of the winter sun along the way.
From culture to history and education, exploring destinations like the Mediterranean, Caribbean and the Pacific is about so much more than just a good visual – cruise itineraries offer an eclectic mix of activities to help you experience each destination to the fullest even when you’re only visiting for a short time.
Chasing the sun
In the UK, the winter brings with it shorter days and lower temperatures, and not to mention, wind, rain and snow. Happily though, while some parts of the world experience the worst winter weather other places are in the full swing of the summer weather, so it’s always possible to chase the sunshine.
Some of the most popular destinations for travellers fleeing the winter weather include:
- Caribbean – Mid-December to mid-April brings the best weather to the Caribbean, and along with it the busy season. If you’re looking for sunshine during the winter months, the Caribbean islands are a very safe bet. The biggest cruise liners in the world stop daily at popular island hideaways like St Maarten, Aruba, Barbados and Jamaica.
- Mediterranean – The Mediterranean boasts an enviable climate no matter what time of year it is. If you’re looking for warm weather but not blazing heat, a cruise through destinations like Santorini, Rome, Ajaccio and Dubrovnik might be the holiday for you. Because the Mediterranean still experiences its hotter-than-hot weather during the summer months, the more comfortable winter months also represent a quieter time at many of the top tourist attractions, perfect if you want to do a bit of sightseeing.
- Panama – See the world famous canal that connects the Atlantic and Pacific oceans on a sunny cruise through Panama. While this might seem like an unusual destination, it’s been consistently voted one of the most beautiful cruise routes in the world, docking in exciting destinations like Aruba, Cabo San Lucas, Cartagena, Puntarenas and San Juan del Sur along the way.
Planning your holiday
There are a few things to consider when you’re searching for a cruise. If you’re travelling on a strict budget, it’s worth staying flexible about dates and destinations so you can take advantage of the best deals. Even if you have a particular destination in mind, a little research online makes it easy to explore your options and learn more about itineraries and amenities on board.
Once you arrive at each port you’ll have the opportunity to disembark and go exploring – you can do this on your own or with the help of planned excursions organised on board. Think about destinations you would like to see or whether you have any particular interests, for example visiting old palaces or spending several hours in chic shopping districts.
If you need inspiration, articles like the Telegraph’s Best Winter Sun Cruises will help you discover some of the most popular destinations with a guaranteed dose of sunshine.
When you’re ready to book websites like Cruise Deals make it easy to explore what’s on offer from the top cruise lines. Travel Supermarket also offers a similar service, which lets you compare deals and options all in one place. We also have a selection of upcoming deals that can help you make sure you get the best cruise at a price that doesn’t break the bank.
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Sunset at Cley windmill by Pauline Goldsworthy - December 7, 2016
- Do you boil your Brussels? - December 6, 2016
- ‘Green Woodpecker’ by Deanna Skelding - December 6, 2016
- Crafting: An Astonishingly Beneficial Hobby! - December 6, 2016
- Why you should choose Dubai as your next holiday - December 6, 2016