Asparagus, ricotta and pancetta pizza
This delicious recipe offers a healthier, grown-up alternative to a takeaway favourite.
Make it to serve on a Friday night or prepare it ahead and enjoy it for weekday lunches slice by slice. It’s easily made vegetarian by leaving out the pancetta.
Serves: 4 Preparation time: 25 minutes plus 60 minutes proving Cooking time: 15 minutes
for the dough
- 125ml tepid water
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 4g easy blend dried yeast
- 150g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ heaped teaspoon flaked sea salt
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil for greasing
for the topping
- 1 small clove of garlic
- 150ml tinned chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp sugar
- 100g ricotta
- A bundle of asparagus, trimmed and sliced
- ½ bunch of fresh oregano leaves
- a small handful of pecorino cheese
- olive oil for drizzling
What to do
- To make the dough, pour the water into a large bowl and gently stir in the sugar and yeast. Put aside for around 10 minutes until the water has a thick beige foam floating on top. Add half the flour and stir gently with a wooden spoon. Don’t worry about clumps in the flour, as these will soon disappear.
- Gradually add half the remaining flour and continue stirring. Once it’s all incorporated, add the remaining flour and the salt, crushing it between your fingers. Mix with clean hands. As soon as the dough forms a soft, spongy ball, turn it out on to a floured surface and knead for 8 minutes. Add a little more flour if it’s too wet. By this time the dough should be smooth, elastic and no longer sticking to your hands.
- Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover loosely with oiled clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, 45–60 minutes.
- Halfway through the rising time preheat the oven to 240°C/475°F/Gas 9.
- Make the topping while the dough rests and rises in the bowl. Place the asparagus in a little olive oil & salt until well-greased.
- In a pan gently heat the oil with the garlic and cook it gently for 2 minutes or so, it must not fry and colour. Add the chopped tomatoes and a good amount of salt and half a teaspoon of white sugar.
- Simmer briskly for 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened slightly, getting rid of any obviously watery element. Let the sauce cool.
- When the dough has risen turn it out on to a lightly floured surface and knock back with your fists.
- Stretch, or flatten the dough with a rolling pin, until about the thickness of a £1 coin. Place each pizza base on a lightly floured baking sheet or tray and brush on top with a little more oil.
- When ready to assemble, spread the sauce half over each pizza base leaving a clean and narrow margin around the edge. Spread the ricotta over the tomato sauce, scatter over the asparagus spears, then add a grind of black pepper and scatter fresh oregano leaves.
- Scatter over the pecorino all over the top of the pizzas and finally dribble a generous amount of olive oil over the whole pizza, slide into the oven and cook for 12-15 minutes, the base should be very crispy.
Recipe courtesy of: enjoyasparagus.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Digital healthcare tools - April 18, 2019
- Should parents stop using chocolate for egg hunts? - April 17, 2019
- Silversurfers Book Club Spring 2019 - April 15, 2019
- Our favourite Easter weekend recipes - April 15, 2019
- What’s the best way to relieve stress? - April 12, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!