First developed by a Swiss doctor back in the 1890’s, this easy, super healthy breakfast can be mixed together the night before, then left in the fridge to soak in a plastic container or smaller individual ones if that suits you better.
This classic bircher muesli recipe with blueberries, grated apple and honey. A great way to start your day.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 500g (1lb 2oz) tub Greek yogurt
- 200g (7oz) rolled oats
- 40g (11/2oz) wheat germ
- 40g (11/2oz) desiccated coconut
- 50g (2oz) hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 200ml (7fl oz) pressed (cloudy) apple juice
- To serve per portion
- ½ Granny Smith apple, cored but not peeled, coarsely grated
- 50g (2oz) Chilean blueberries
- 1 tsp runny honey
- Little ground cinnamon
- Few extra chopped hazelnuts, optional
What To Do:
- Mix the yogurt, oats and wheat germ in a bowl then stir in the coconut, toasted hazelnuts and apple juice. Transfer to a plastic container, clip on the lid and chill overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, stir in grated apple and a few blueberries then spoon into dishes, top with extra blueberries, a drizzle of honey, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and a few extra nuts, if liked. The remaining soaked muesli will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days, just add a little apple juice if needed, as the oats will continue to swell.
TIP: If you are not a fan of nuts or have a nut allergy then simply leave them out. If you are allergic to yogurt made with cow’s milk then use goat’s milk or soak in soya milk instead.
Recipe from Seasonalberries.co.uk
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Quiz: Can you name all these types of pasta? - October 24, 2021
- 5 Overseas Hampers to send to loved ones abroad - October 22, 2021
- 8 Calendars to help you make the most of 2022 - October 22, 2021
- Must-read annuals guaranteed to entertain - October 22, 2021
- Plan a Christmas to remember with our range of thoughtful gifts for your loved ones - October 22, 2021