First developed by a Swiss doctor back in the 1890’s, this easy, super healthy breakfast can be mixed together the night before, then left in the fridge to soak in a plastic container or smaller individual ones if that suits you better.
This classic bircher muesli recipe with blueberries, grated apple and honey. A great way to start your day.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
What You’ll Need:
- 500g (1lb 2oz) tub Greek yogurt
- 200g (7oz) rolled oats
- 40g (11/2oz) wheat germ
- 40g (11/2oz) desiccated coconut
- 50g (2oz) hazelnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 200ml (7fl oz) pressed (cloudy) apple juice
- To serve per portion
- ½ Granny Smith apple, cored but not peeled, coarsely grated
- 50g (2oz) Chilean blueberries
- 1 tsp runny honey
- Little ground cinnamon
- Few extra chopped hazelnuts, optional
What To Do:
- Mix the yogurt, oats and wheat germ in a bowl then stir in the coconut, toasted hazelnuts and apple juice. Transfer to a plastic container, clip on the lid and chill overnight in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, stir in grated apple and a few blueberries then spoon into dishes, top with extra blueberries, a drizzle of honey, a sprinkle of ground cinnamon and a few extra nuts, if liked. The remaining soaked muesli will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days, just add a little apple juice if needed, as the oats will continue to swell.
TIP: If you are not a fan of nuts or have a nut allergy then simply leave them out. If you are allergic to yogurt made with cow’s milk then use goat’s milk or soak in soya milk instead.
Recipe from Seasonalberries.co.uk
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Something to sing about, by Janice Wilkinson - October 22, 2016
- By Ron Adams - October 22, 2016
- Where do you think the extra runway should be built – Heathrow or Gatwick? - October 21, 2016
- Beach breaks in Goa - October 21, 2016
- Peace & Tranquility in Your Home Away from Home - October 21, 2016