Blackberry Lemon Layer Cake
The blackberry season is in full swing now and this cake recipe is just the inspiration you need at this time of year!
This lovely moist and tangy cake is also great made with blueberries or raspberries.
Serves: 8 | Prep time: 20mins | Cook time: 60mins
- 350g plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 175g butter or margarine
- 200g demerara sugar
- Finely grated rind 1 large lemon
- 2 free range eggs
- 200ml milk
- 350g blackberries
What to do:
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the fat until it resembles breadcrumbs and then add 110g of sugar. Beat together the egg, milk and lemon rind (save a little for the topping), and then stir into the dry mixture until you have a thick batter.
- Rinse and dry the blackberries on paper towel then halve any very large ones. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas Mark 4.
- Pour a good half of the mixture into a lined and greased 15-17.5cm loose-bottomed tin. Sprinkle on half of the blackberries, the rest of the batter and some more blackberries and sugar.
- Bake for about one hour until firm and golden. Sprinkle with remaining fruit, lemon rind and sugar, and leave to cool in the tin.
Recipe by: Berryworld.com
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- The skies are now open…but is your travel insurance adequate? - September 25, 2020
- 8 reasons your dog has no appetite - September 24, 2020
- Will you be downloading the new tracing app today? - September 24, 2020
- Have the new coronavirus rules gone far enough? - September 23, 2020
- How to Help People With Dementia - September 20, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!