Blackberry Lemon Layer Cake
The blackberry season is in full swing now and this cake recipe is just the inspiration you need at this time of year!
This lovely moist and tangy cake is also great made with blueberries or raspberries.
Serves: 8 | Prep time: 20mins | Cook time: 60mins
- 350g plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 175g butter or margarine
- 200g demerara sugar
- Finely grated rind 1 large lemon
- 2 free range eggs
- 200ml milk
- 350g blackberries
What to do:
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the fat until it resembles breadcrumbs and then add 110g of sugar. Beat together the egg, milk and lemon rind (save a little for the topping), and then stir into the dry mixture until you have a thick batter.
- Rinse and dry the blackberries on paper towel then halve any very large ones. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas Mark 4.
- Pour a good half of the mixture into a lined and greased 15-17.5cm loose-bottomed tin. Sprinkle on half of the blackberries, the rest of the batter and some more blackberries and sugar.
- Bake for about one hour until firm and golden. Sprinkle with remaining fruit, lemon rind and sugar, and leave to cool in the tin.
Recipe by: Berryworld.com
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- What is equity release and could it be right for you? - October 14, 2021
- Do you eat less meat than you used to? - October 11, 2021
- 8 Calendars to help you make the most of 2022 - October 6, 2021
- Must-read annuals guaranteed to entertain - October 6, 2021
- Make your LPA online with Co-op Legal Services - October 6, 2021