Boozy sausage, celery and apple hotpot with cider
This delicious and simple one-pot dish is comfort food at its best.
The sausage, celery and apples mix beautifully with the cider and sage to create a warming winter dish.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- 450g Newmarket sausages (8 sausages)
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 6 shallots, peeled and diced
- 6 sticks celery, cut into 10cm lengths
- 2 Bramley apples, peeled and cut into wedges
- 200g tinned tomatoes, chopped
- 300ml dry cider
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 5.
- In a large cast iron or ovenproof casserole dish, fry the sausages in the oil until they are browned all over. Take them out and set to one side, then add the diced shallots and fry until they have just started to soften.
- Add the Fenland celery and fry for a further 5 minutes until the celery has started to soften. Put the sausages back into the casserole dish, along with apples, tinned tomatoes, cider and sage leaves, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and place the casserole dish into a pre-heated oven and cook for 1 hour.
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!