Natural laxatives for better digestion
Constipation is an uncomfortable digestive issue that can disrupt routines and feel unpleasant throughout the day.
There’s dozens of reasons why people might be struggling with digestive issues, but for the most part short bouts of constipation are related to diet and lifestyle.
Medication is another factor – some common medications like aluminium antacids, calcium supplements, water tablets and iron supplements can also have an impact.
A few simple lifestyle changes are typically enough to help return bouts of indigestion back to normal without the need for any prescription or over-the-counter alternatives that can have negative impacts on the body.
Here’s a list of remedies to try that will act as natural laxatives:
- Drink more water – Dehydration leads to constipation, so be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day and night.
- Try exercise – Movement can literally help get things moving. Try exercising more regularly by walking or running.
- Increase fibre – Fibre is key for good digestion, and constipation is an indicator you likely aren’t getting enough in your diet. It’s especially important for older adults. Eat plenty of high-fibre foods like lentils, beans, apples, pears, vegetables and nuts.
- Add wheatbran – Wheatbran is another excellent natural remedy so seek out whole wheat and wholegrain breads and pastas instead of their white counterparts. Bran-based cereal delivers plenty of fibre too, as do oats.
- Snack on dried fruit – Dried fruits like figs, apricots and prunes make for a delicious sweet snack and also have the added benefit of being high in fibre. Try incorporating them into your morning cereal or porridge for an extra boost.
- Olive oil and lemon juice – Olive oil is another popular home remedy that can be used to try and help relieve constipation. Take a tablespoon of olive oil with your morning coffee or juice, drizzle it over salad or mix a tablespoon of olive oil with a teaspoon of lemon juice and drink on an empty stomach.
- Try flaxseed oil – Like olive oil, flaxseed oil is known as a natural laxative. Try adding a tablespoon of flaxseed oil to your morning porridge or mixing it directly with some freshly squeezed orange juice. Remember natural remedies like this take several hours to have an impact, so don’t be tempted to overdo it.
Do you have any natural remedies to help aid digestion?
Silversurfers Features Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!