Natural laxatives for better digestion
Constipation is an uncomfortable digestive issue that can disrupt routines and feel unpleasant throughout the day.
There’s dozens of reasons why people might be struggling with digestive issues, but for the most part short bouts of constipation are related to diet and lifestyle.
Medication is another factor – some common medications like aluminium antacids, calcium supplements, water tablets and iron supplements can also have an impact.
A few simple lifestyle changes are typically enough to help return bouts of indigestion back to normal without the need for any prescription or over-the-counter alternatives that can have negative impacts on the body.
Here’s a list of remedies to try that will act as natural laxatives:
- Drink more water – Dehydration leads to constipation, so be sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day and night.
- Try exercise – Movement can literally help get things moving. Try exercising more regularly by walking or running.
- Increase fibre – Fibre is key for good digestion, and constipation is an indicator you likely aren’t getting enough in your diet. It’s especially important for older adults. Eat plenty of high-fibre foods like lentils, beans, apples, pears, vegetables and nuts.
- Add wheatbran – Wheatbran is another excellent natural remedy so seek out whole wheat and wholegrain breads and pastas instead of their white counterparts. Bran-based cereal delivers plenty of fibre too, as do oats.
- Snack on dried fruit – Dried fruits like figs, apricots and prunes make for a delicious sweet snack and also have the added benefit of being high in fibre. Try incorporating them into your morning cereal or porridge for an extra boost.
- Olive oil and lemon juice – Olive oil is another popular home remedy that can be used to try and help relieve constipation. Take a tablespoon of olive oil with your morning coffee or juice, drizzle it over salad or mix a tablespoon of olive oil with a teaspoon of lemon juice and drink on an empty stomach.
- Try flaxseed oil – Like olive oil, flaxseed oil is known as a natural laxative. Try adding a tablespoon of flaxseed oil to your morning porridge or mixing it directly with some freshly squeezed orange juice. Remember natural remedies like this take several hours to have an impact, so don’t be tempted to overdo it.
Do you have any natural remedies to help aid digestion?