Healthy habits for the New Year
If you’re thinking of making a New Year’s resolution, why not make it a healthy one?
Take a look at our top healthy habits for 2020, and how you can achieve them.
With a few small changes to your lifestyle you can adopt a good habit that will make a big difference to your health in the long run.
How To Make A Habit
Habits are different from resolutions as they are something you do regularly, just like brushing your teeth or drinking tea in the morning.
To establish a healthy habit, you need to make it part of your daily, weekly, or monthly life until it becomes routine, and something that you don’t think about.
Here are a few tips to help you develop and maintain your healthy resolution:
- Make a plan for what you need to do to establish the habit – for instance how often you need to do it, when you want to achieve it by
- Set realistic, measurable goals – as part of your plan you should do some goal setting and work out what you want to achieve, why, and how you will know you’ve achieved it
- Concentrate on one thing at a time – if you try to do everything at once you will feel overwhelmed and might give up on it all. If you have three, seven, twelve healthy habits you want to develop in 2020, do one a month to give them each time and space to get used to
- Repetition is key to developing a habit, and forcing yourself to do something when you don’t feel like it
Healthy Resolutions for 2020
A healthy habit could stem from a New Year’s resolution to give up something bad or make an improvement in your lifestyle.
With that in mind, here are our top ten good health resolutions for 2020:
- Limit your alcohol intake – this is a good one to start with, as lots of people have a ‘dry January’. See our tips to stay within your healthy limit.
- Take up a regular exercise – for many people adopting an exercise will be a New Year’s resolution, but it’s important to find the right exercise for you so you can stick with it. If you don’t enjoy the gym you could walk, take up yoga, cycle, dance…
- Drink water, not fizzy juice – fizzy drinks often come loaded with gas, sugar and chemicals, which don’t do you any good. Switch to tap water instead of fizzy juice to reduce bloating and calories, and get hydrated healthily instead.
- Quit Smoking – if you smoke then this is the biggest healthy habit you can adopt this year. It’s never too late to reap the benefits from quitting smoking, and there’s more support than ever to help you kick this bad habit.
- Eat your five a day – this is another easy healthy habit to adopt with a few small changes. Add fruit to your breakfast cereal, drink a small glass of fruit juice, put salad in your sandwiches, add vegetables to your dinner and you’ll get there in no time.
- Ride a bike or walk to work – if you drive or get the bus to work, consider switching to the bike or walking. It will save you money, get you fit, and help the environment. This is a good habit to develop in spring or summer when the weather is better
- Start the day right – start your morning with a filling, healthy breakfast and you’ll feel alert until lunch
- Control your Portions – eat enough to satisfy your hunger and meet your nutritional needs, and not more. Don’t take second helpings or pile your plate high with unnecessary calories
- Get enough sleep at night – adopt a sleep routine and make sure you get between six and nine hours of sleep every night so you feel your best
- Meatless Monday – if you’ve enjoyed adding more fruit and veg to your diet, consider joining the ‘Meatless Monday’ movement. Every Monday, opt for healthy vegetarian meals instead of meat or fish
What’s your healthy resolution for 2020?
Have you got a health question?
We've teamed up with AXA PPP healthcare to bring you articles, information and tips from their clinical teams on a wide range of health topics. And if you have a health related question of your own - about your or your family's health, medication or upcoming procedures, for example - you can also access their, "Ask the Expert" service. Available around the clock, 365 days a year this free resource allows you to ask the team of friendly and experienced nurses, midwives and pharmacists about any health concerns you may have - whenever you need them, 24 hours a day, every day. Please get in touch now.
Click below to submit your question online.
SUBSCRIBE FOR AXA HEALTHCARE
AXA PPP healthcare ensure that, once you have a GP referral, you can choose who to see and where to go, from a list of approved specialists and hospitals. Making sure you get the treatment you need giving you the flexibility to manage your health around your lifestyle.
AXA PPP Private health insurance, put simply, offers you quick access to eligible health treatment, from seeing a specialist for diagnosis to having a comfortable stay while you’re in hospital.
2 Months free healthcare cover for Silversurfers subscribers Plus a choice of FREE gift when you join*
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Podcasts and radio shows to inspire learning - March 29, 2020
- Podcasts – why not tune in? - March 28, 2020
- Stream the National Theatre free every Thursday - March 27, 2020
- The best of Diana Ross - March 25, 2020
- The best tech to help you stay connected with family and friends - March 24, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!