Living with a heart condition
This article focuses on Joanie Scott’s (52) experiences of having a stroke, how it was treated, and how she dealt with it afterwards.
“Joanie isn’t your typical stroke survivor,” explains Doireann Maddock, Senior Cardiac Nurse at the British Heart Foundation.
She now looks to follow a healthy lifestyle, with an improved diet and more exercise. “After a stroke, patients with those risk factors are advised to change their lifestyles. They may also be prescribed anticoagulant drugs, blood pressure tablets, medication for diabetes and the cholesterol-lowering drug statin. The combination of lifestyle changes and drug treatments can greatly reduce the chance of another stroke.”
According to the Stroke Association around 150,000 people in the UK suffer a stroke every year.
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Win £1,000 to spend on an Explore holiday - December 1, 2021
- Win ONE of TEN Copies of The Daughters of War - December 1, 2021
- Win ONE of FIVE copies of the fabulous More Taste & Less Waste Cookbook! - December 1, 2021
- Christmas Decorations Masterclass: Make your own Festive Wreath, Garland and Flower Centrepieces - November 30, 2021
- 7 Scottish Gift ideas for Christmas - November 29, 2021