Living with a heart condition
This article focuses on Joanie Scott’s (52) experiences of having a stroke, how it was treated, and how she dealt with it afterwards.
“Joanie isn’t your typical stroke survivor,” explains Doireann Maddock, Senior Cardiac Nurse at the British Heart Foundation.
She now looks to follow a healthy lifestyle, with an improved diet and more exercise. “After a stroke, patients with those risk factors are advised to change their lifestyles. They may also be prescribed anticoagulant drugs, blood pressure tablets, medication for diabetes and the cholesterol-lowering drug statin. The combination of lifestyle changes and drug treatments can greatly reduce the chance of another stroke.”
According to the Stroke Association around 150,000 people in the UK suffer a stroke every year.
Latest posts by Sally - Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- 5 Overseas Hampers to send to loved ones abroad - October 22, 2021
- 8 Calendars to help you make the most of 2022 - October 22, 2021
- Must-read annuals guaranteed to entertain - October 22, 2021
- Plan a Christmas to remember with our range of thoughtful gifts for your loved ones - October 22, 2021
- Have you been able to book your Covid Booster yet? - October 21, 2021