For many, the powerful smell of eucalyptus in Vicks VapoRub brings back memories of childhood and being tucked up in bed with a cold.
Don’t leave it gathering dust in your medicine cabinet – there are plenty of clever uses for VapoRub that have nothing to do with a congested chest. Here’s a few of our favourites
- Ease headaches and migraines – The menthol in VapoRub makes it a great alternative to painkillers when you have a headache or migraine coming on. Rub into your temple and forehead – it will help release the pressure in your head for quick pain relief.
- Stop the cat from scratching – If you have a cat that loves to scratch a particular piece of furniture, try applying some vapour rub to the area you’re trying to get them to avoid. They hate the smell and it will act as a natural deterrent. It works for dogs, too!
- Muscle aches and pains – If you have aches and pains after exercising, try rubbing in some VapoRub to the area to help relieve the pain.
- Reduce itch and inflammation – The ingredients in VapoRub work well on itching and inflammation too. Rub it over bruises, acne or even eczema to help reduce the symptoms and heal faster.
- Block odors – If you’re in the middle of an unsavoury clean up job, use VapoRub under your nose to help block the scent and make the task more bearable.
- As a bug repellent – VapoRub can also act as a natural mosquito repellent when applied to the skin. Rub over any exposed skin – they hate the smell and will naturally stay away.
- Fix toenail fungus – If you suffer from toenail fungus, try rubbing VapoRub into your nail bed and toenail daily for two weeks. It will kill the fungus, turning it black, and allow you to grow out the nail healthy again.
Do you know any clever uses for VapoRub? Let us know in the comments below.
Image courtesy of flickr user Tatsuo Yamashita