The Internet’s favourite tips and tricks
Satisfying little tricks, shortcuts and skills are often called “life hacks”, and the internet is an endless source of inspiration when it comes to making life easier.
From clever uses for vinegar to better ways to organise your kitchen cupboard, there’s thousands of great tips and tricks you can incorporate into daily life.
Today we’re sharing a few of the Internet’s favourite tips and tricks and where you can read up on a few more.
- Hull strawberries using a straw – If you need to get the stems off of strawberries quickly for cooking and baking, try this simple trick. Get a Vegware straw and push it through the strawberry from the bottom – when it pokes through the top, it will cleanly take the stem with it.
- Hold a nail in place with a clothes pegs – Clothes pegs aren’t just for hanging up the washing. Use them to safely hold a nail in place so you can hammer without danger of hurting your fingers.
- Use a wooden spoon to keep a pot from boiling over – Keep a pot from boiling over by placing a wooden spoon across it. It’s simple and will help save from unnecessary mess in the kitchen.
- Use toilet roll holders for wires – Today’s tech-focused world means most households have dozens of different wires to contend with. Keep everything organised and in one place by placing wires inside toilet roll holders – they can then be stacked neatly and upright in a shoebox, so you can quickly see which wire you need.
- Hollow out a sunscreen bottle for valuables – Keeping your valuables safe at the beach while you’re taking a swim is a constant struggle on a beach holiday. Empty out an old sunscreen bottle and clean thoroughly – you can use it as an inconspicuous ruse to hold your money, keys and phone.
- Identify keys using nail polish – If you have a keyring with several similar looking keys, quickly tell them apart by painting the handles using nail polish.
Find more hints and tips on the web
Interested to learn more hints and tips? Check out these resources below:
10 Simple Life Hacks Everyone Should Know
Reddit’s Lifehacks message board
Lifehack.org – A website filled with useful tips and tricks
The Telegraph’s 17 Greatest Life Hacks
Do you know any great hints and tips? Let us know in the comments below!
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Should Bake Off feature more silver bakers? - August 20, 2019
- Grown-up burger recipes for National Burger Day! - August 20, 2019
- Fixed term versus decreasing term life insurance – what’s the difference? - August 19, 2019
- Getting started with flower arranging - August 16, 2019
- Clever uses for nail files - August 16, 2019
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!