Add Some Zest to Your Day!
There is nothing I like more than a nice cup of tea and a slice of lemon cake .. even though I am a self-confessed chocoholic, I prefer the sweet, zesty tang of fresh lemons, and this recipe will not disappoint…
175g Rachel’s unsalted butter
175g caster sugar
Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
120g Rachel’s Organic Natural yogurt
2 large eggs, beaten
175 self raising flour
3tbsp caster sugar
150g icing sugar, sifted
1/2 tbsp water
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/gas mark 4. Grease and line a round 15cm/6″ loose bottom cake tin.
2. Cream together the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
3. Add the grated zest of lemons and yogurt then add the eggs.
4. Add the flour, mix well and spoon the mixture into the prepared tin, ensure a level surface.
5. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown or until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Transfer to a cooling wire.
7. In a small saucepan add the juice of the lemons with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar and allow to
reduce on a high heat. Leave to cool slightly.
8. Using a skewer or cocktail stick prick the cake all over and then pour the lemon sugar syrup all over the
top, allow it to soak in.
9. Leave to cool completely before icing.
10. Mix the icing sugar with the water until a runny paste consistency is achieved. Using a spoon drizzle the
icing liberally backwards and forwards over the cake.
Hints and tips
Can be served at any occasion but why not sit back, relax with a nice cup of tea and enjoy!
For more delicious recipes click here ←
Latest posts by Silverhairs editor (see all)
- How to look like a pro when you’re tasting wine - May 14, 2014
- Mid-life Crisis … I Don’t Think So! - September 12, 2013
- Beet(root) Dementia! - December 24, 2012
- Over 50’s Rowing for Fitness - August 1, 2012
- Volunteer travel … See the World and Make a Difference - June 21, 2012
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!