Blueberry and Apple Crumble Cake
This delicious cake is the perfect dessert or teatime treat.
The crunchy crumble topping is sweet and satisfying, while the yoghurt topping and tart blueberries help balance the cake beautifully.
Serves: approx. 10 slices Preparation time: 30 minutes Cooking time: approx 60 to 75 minutes
For the crumble topping
- 100g plain flour
- 50g butter, cubed
- 50g light brown muscovado sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For the cake
- 250g blueberries
- 150g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- 4 tbsps natural yoghurt
- zest of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 apple, cored and cut into small cubes
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 400g Low fat Greek style natural yoghurt
- 100g blueberries
- zest of ½ lemon
What to do
- Preheat oven 200c/180c fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 20cm loose bottomed round cake tin.
- First make the crumble topping by placing the flour into a large bowl, rub in the butter until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs, stir in the sugar and cinnamon, put to one side.
- Make the cake by first washing and drying the blueberries, sprinkle with a dusting of flour to stop them sinking.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat the eggs together and add a little at a time continuing to beat, fold in the yoghurt, lemon zest, vanilla essence, apple cubes, ¾ of the blueberries, flour and baking powder.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top. Sprinkle over the crumble topping and sprinkle over the remaining blueberries, pushing down a little.
- Bake for 1 – 1¼hrs until golden and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool a little in the tin then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Mix together the yoghurt, lemon zest and blueberries and serve with generous slices of the cake.
Recipe courtesy of BerryWorld
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!