Rich Chocolate Brownies with Dark Chocolate Chunks
Everyone has something they love to cook or a signature dish. For some reason, I seem to have got a reputation for making unbeatable brownies and I am regularly asked for my recipe, and also to bring along a plateful!
I am not one to use scales to weigh ingredients and very much cook by instinct, however, I have put pen to paper and am happy to share my brownies with Silversurfers!
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Make about 20 brownies
What You’ll Need:
200g caster sugar
4 large eggs
200g dark chocolate (preferably 70% cocoa solids or more)
80g plain flour
50g dark chocolate chunks (reserve a handful to sprinkle on top)
What to do:
- Break up the dark chocolate into a medium bowl and add the butter, and either melt in the microwave for about 2 minutes or place this over a pan of simmering water and leave to melt.
Put the sugar in a medium bowl and add the eggs, and then use an electric whisk on a high setting to blend until creamy and completely combined.
- Add the melted butter and chocolate mixture to the egg and sugar mixture, and whisk gently until combined evenly. Add the flour and chocolate chips and mix again.
- Line a roasting tin (which is approx 28cm by 16cm) with baking parchment and pour in the chocolate mixture. Sprinkle the handful of chocolate chunks on top, if using.
- Pop in the oven at 180C/ gas mark 4 for 25-30 minutes, or until the surface of the brownies has formed a slight crust but is still ever so slightly wobbly in the middle.
- Leave in the tin to cool for a good half hour; if you can bear the temptation, that is.
- Slice the brownies into 20 sections, pop on a plate, dust with icing sugar, then enjoy.
- These brownies keep for a good 5 days if kept in an airtight container (often they taste even better the next day) and they freeze very well.
NOTE: You can substitute the chocolate chunks for white chocolate, mini marshmallows, mini salted pretzels or walnuts if preferred
What is your signature dish? Feel free to share it in our recipe section in the Showcase <<<