Raspberry and hazelnut shortbread
These delicious raspberry and hazelnut shortbread treats are generously filled with vanilla flavoured whipped cream and fresh raspberries which make a dainty dessert.
The biscuits are also great served with yoghurt or ice cream.
Makes: 6 Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes
For the shortbread
- 100 g (4 oz) hazelnuts
- 175 g (6 oz) plain flour
- 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 150 g (5 oz) butter, diced
For the filling
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) double cream
- 2 tablespoons icing sugar, plus little extra to decorate
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 300g (11 oz) raspberries
- Toast the hazelnuts under the grill until lightly browned, roughly chop 25 g (1 oz) of the nuts and reserve for the top. Finely chop the remainder then leave to cool.
- Put the flour into a bowl, add the sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and butter and rub the butter in with fingertips until it resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in the finely chopped hazelnuts then squeeze the crumbs together with fingertips until they form a ball. Knead lightly then roll out on a lightly floured surface and cut twelve, 7.5 cm (3 inch) hearts with a biscuit cutter, re-rolling and trimming as needed.
- Put shortbread hearts on to ungreased baking sheets and cook at 160°C / 325°F / Gas mark 3 for about 15 minutes until pale golden. Leave to cool on the baking sheets.
- When you’re almost ready to serve, whip the cream, icing sugar and vanilla until it forms soft swirls. Crumble in half the raspberries then spoon the cream over 6 biscuits, keeping a little back for the tops. Press a biscuit on the top of each then decorate with the remaining cream, the whole raspberries and a sprinkling of the roughly chopped nuts. Transfer to serving plates and dust with a little sifted icing sugar.
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Has the public lost interest in Christmas adverts? - November 16, 2018
- Try this: make your own vanilla extract - November 15, 2018
- Asparagus, ricotta and pancetta pizza - November 14, 2018
- Recognise the symptoms for World Pancreatic Cancer Day - November 13, 2018
- Know your risks on World Diabetes Day - November 12, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!