These delicious blueberry and almond friands are the perfect sweet snack for summer.
They’re quick and simple to make and easy to pack into a lunch box or picnic basket before heading off on adventure.
Prep time: 15 minutes Cook time: 25 minutes
- 140g unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 35g plain flour
- 100g ground almonds
- 125g icing sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 36 blueberries
- 6 tbsp flaked almonds
- Lightly grease a 12-hole non-stick muffin pan and set aside. Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan).
- Heat the butter in a small pan on a medium/high heat until the butter foams and the milk solids turn a golden brown. Immediately remove from the heat and pour into a small bowl.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, ground almonds and sugar. Add the egg whites and almond extract and mix together until smooth. Pour in the butter and mix together until smooth and fully combined. Cover the mixture and refrigerate for an hour before baking.
- Divide the batter evenly between the prepared muffin pan and top with three blueberries per friand and scatter the flaked almonds around the edges. Bake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and a little paler in the middle.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Store in a sealed container these little cakes will keep for up to three days.
Recipe courtesy of BerryWorld
|Nutrient||Per 100g||Per Serving||% GDA|
|Sat Fat (g)||11.8||6.8||34|