Carrot and goat’s cheese tart
This delicious carrot and goat’s cheese tart is the perfect summer dish that can be made ahead and enjoyed all week.
With the advantage of being meat-free, this
Serves: 4-6 Prep time: 30 minutes and 1 hour resting time Cook time: 45 minutes – 1 hour
For the pastry:
- 140g plain flour
- 70g chilled butter, cut into dice
- 50g grated mature cheddar
- water to bind
- pinch of salt
For the filling:
- 400g Chantenay carrots
- 1 lemon (grate half and juice whole lemon)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 eggs whole
- 1 egg yolk
- 200ml tub crème fraiche
- 180g goat’s cheese cut into slices
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/Gas Mark 5.
- To make the pastry put the flour, salt and chilled butter into a food processor and whiz for a few seconds until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively, sift the flour and salt into a medium bowl, add the butter and rub lightly together with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Then stir in the cheese and add 2-2 ½ tablespoons of cold water gradually mixing with a fork until the pastry just holds together. Wrap the pastry in Clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry into a circle bigger than the flan tin, line the flan tin, pressing it well into the case. Trim the edges and prick the base with a fork.
- Refrigerate for another 30 minutes, then bake the tart case blind for 15 minutes. Remove the baking beans and cook for a further 10 minutes to cook the base.
- Meanwhile place the carrots on a baking sheet. Season well and drizzle with the olive oil and lemon juice. Roast in the oven alongside the tart case for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix together the eggs, egg yolk and crème fraîche, and season. Then place the carrots and diced goat’s cheese in the cooked tart case, with the sprigs of fresh thyme and pour over the egg mixture.
- Lower the heat in the oven to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas Mark 4 and cook the tart until it has just set. Leave to cool. Serve with a green salad and new potatoes.
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Preventing falls this winter - December 13, 2018
- Should banks help restrict where you spend your money? - December 11, 2018
- Be drink aware this December - December 10, 2018
- Board games for fun family nights in - December 7, 2018
- Festive recipes: starters and sides - December 6, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!