Our chicken and mozzarella sandwich loaf recipe is a sophisticated spin on a popular lunchtime staple.
Forget soggy, limp sandwiches – this simple dish is easy to put together, looks great on a plate and will stay fresh and crunchy.
Great to make ahead for a picnic and will definitely stand out from the crowd!
Serves: 4-6 Prep time: 15 minutes plus standing time
- 1 Ciabatta style loaf
- 2 tbsp pesto
- 6-8 long Cos Leaves
- 150g mozzarella, sliced
- Jar roasted vegetables (Peppers, aubergines, courgettes etc)
- 1 cooked chicken breast torn into pieces
What to do
- Cut the top off the loaf approx. ¼ the way down and pull the soft bread out of the centre to make a bowl shape of the crust with a 2cm layer of bread inside.
- Spread the pesto in a thin layer all over the inside of the bread bowl then layer half of the Cos leaves over the bottom, then add a layer of mozzarella then the roast veg then the chicken. Repeat this till the bread bowl is full. End with a layer of Cos leaves.
- Replace the lid and tightly wrap the whole thing in cling film and balance a can on top to weigh it down. Leave to firm up for 1-4 hrs. Cut into slices to serve.Note: dry the roast veg and mozzarella on kitchen roll and make sure you don’t use too much pesto to avoid the bread getting too soggy.
Recipe courtesy of Make More of Salad