Individual summer meringues with berry topping
These classic meringues are topped with cool whipped cream and your choice of berries, they make a delicious pudding or afternoon treat.
You can make the meringue shells ahead, or, if you’re short on time, you can pick up pre-made shells from your local supermarket.
Serves: 8 Prep time: 15 minutes plus cooling time Cook time: 1 ¼ hours
What You Need
- 4 egg whites
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 200ml double cream
- Your choice of berries to top
What to do
- Preheat the oven to 100C and line 2 baking sheets with non-stick parchment.
- In a sparkling clean bowl with very clean whisks, whisk the egg whites until stiff then slowly add the caster sugar whilst whisking. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes stiff and shiny. Add the cornflour and whisk briefly to incorporate.
- Spoon 4 pillows of meringue, well-spaced, onto each baking sheet. Make a slight indent in the top of each. Turn the oven down to 80C and cook for 1 ½ hours then turn off the oven and leave to go cold.
- When ready to serve, whip the cream to soft peaks and spoon into the indent of each meringue. Top with your choice of berries and serve.
Note: If using less sweet berries, such as blackcurrants or gooseberries, you can choose to make them into a quick compote. Heat the berries in a pan with a few spoons of sugar and a dash of water. Taste and add more sugar to suit your taste and tartness of the berries.
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Preventing falls this winter - December 13, 2018
- Should banks help restrict where you spend your money? - December 11, 2018
- Be drink aware this December - December 10, 2018
- Board games for fun family nights in - December 7, 2018
- Festive recipes: starters and sides - December 6, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!