Pancake Day 2018: healthier pancakes two ways
Tuesday 13th February is Pancake Day – the last day before Lent where we celebrate and prepare for Easter and the coming of spring.
If you’re looking for a lighter, healthier option this year we have two excellent new recipes that fit the bill.
Whether it’s thin crepes or fluffy American-style pancakes you crave, both of these recipes deliver on taste and make it easy to celebrate the season without compromising your waistline.
Blueberry Buckwheat Crepes with Greek yoghurt and Blueberry Lemon compote
Buckwheat has been used for delicate crepes in France for years. Amazingly, Buckwheat is not actually a grain and so this recipe is perfect if you like to eat Gluten Free. The blueberries add flavour and colour and are perfect for a filling breakfast. Fancy crepes for dessert? Swap out your greek yogurt for vanilla ice cream for an extra sweet treat.
Makes: 8 crepes
For the crepes
- 250g Buckwheat flour
- 75ml sparkling water
- 100g blueberries
- 100ml milk
- 50g melted butter
- 3 eggs
For the compote
- 250g blueberries
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 200g Greek Yoghurt to serve
- Firstly puree the blueberries and sparkling water together until a fine puree. Then whisk the eggs, milk and the melted butter in a separate bowl. Place the buckwheat flour in a large bowl and pour first the egg mix and then the blueberry puree into the centre of the flour. Whisk well to combine until smooth. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes whilst you make the compote.
- To make the compote place the sugar, blueberries and lemon zest into a small saucepan and then place on a medium heat. Bring to the boil, then turn down and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Then when you are ready to go, heat up a frying pan to a medium high heat, add a touch of oil and a tiny knob of butter, then pour about 4 dessert spoonfuls of the mix into the centre and swirl around quickly to cover the pan and produce a thin pancake. Then flip over and cook on the side for one more minute.
- When ready fold the pancakes over into quarters, then place 2 on each plate and spoon over some Greek Yoghurt and compote.
Spelt and vanilla blueberry pancakes with Agave syrup
Fluffy, light and packed full of zingy flavour, adding spelt and blueberries helps make this recipe as healthy as it is delicious. Instead of maple syrup, try using a touch of agave syrup – it gives the sweetness you crave but with a lower GI.
Makes: 8 – 10 pancakes
- 500g White Spelt flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 600ml of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g blueberries
- Mix the dry ingredients together, then whisk in the egg, milk and vanilla.
- Heat up a little veggie oil in a large nonstick frying pan. Then add a large dessert spoonful at a time to make mini pancakes and cook in batches. Add about 3/5 blueberries to each pancake before turning them over and cook for about 3 minutes each side. Keep warm in a very low oven if needs be.
- Serve with agave syrup, icing sugar and more blueberries.
Recipes courtesy of Seasonal Berries
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Asparagus, ricotta and pancetta pizza - November 14, 2018
- Recognise the symptoms for World Pancreatic Cancer Day - November 13, 2018
- Know your risks on World Diabetes Day - November 12, 2018
- Blueberry and Apple Crumble Cake - November 10, 2018
- Dealing with dry skin this winter - November 10, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!