Strawberry and blueberry crumble
A Christmassy twist on a favourite pud.
It doesn’t seem to matter what size your Christmas cake is, there is always a little bit of marzipan left that you don’t know what to do with. Don’t throw it away, just 75g (3oz) adds festive flavour to a simple crumble, delicious spooned over fresh fruity strawberries and blueberries.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20-25 minutes
1 teaspoon cornflour
Juice of 1 medium orange
450g (1lb) strawberries, hulled, halved or quartered depending on size
200g (7oz) blueberries
40g (11/2oz) caster sugar
100g (4oz) plain flour
40g (11/2oz) caster sugar
50g (2oz) butter, diced
75g (3oz) marzipan, coarsely grated
Finely grated rind ½ orange
Vanilla ice cream to serve
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4. Mix the cornflour and orange juice together in the base of a medium saucepan. Add the strawberries, blueberries and sugar to the pan then cook over a medium to low heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring until the berries begin to soften slightly. Spoon into 4 x 250ml (8fl oz) individual ovenproof dishes.
- To make the crumble add the flour, sugar and butter to a mixing bowl and rub in the butter with fingertips or an electric mixer until fine crumbs. Stir in the marzipan and orange rind.
- Spoon the crumble over the fruit and bake for 20-25 minutes until the crumble is golden brown and the juices are bubbling around the edges. Serve with scoops of vanilla ice cream.
Don’t have any individual ovenproof dishes? Make the crumble in one large dish instead and cook for 30-35 minutes until golden. Keep an eye on the crumble as the marzipan can brown quickly, so loosely cover the top with foil if needed.
Recipe from: Seasonal Berries
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Editor (see all)
- Are you leaving your potential PPI claim to vanish as a result of the FCA deadline? - May 22, 2018
- Are ‘female equality’ and ‘feminism’ the same thing? - May 22, 2018
- Step Aboard - May 21, 2018
- In 1961, Hull did something extraordinary - May 21, 2018
- Time to make ‘living the dream’ a reality - May 21, 2018
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!