Strawberry meringue roulade with mascarpone
Today marks the official start to the British Strawberry season!
This decadent dessert is surprisingly light, making it the perfect pudding of the season.
The crisp and chewy meringue encases a rich strawberry and mascarpone cream filling, and the almonds around the outside add a delicious crunch.
Serves: 8 Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 16 minutes
- vegetable oil for brushing the tin
- whites of 6 eggs
- 300g caster sugar
- 80g flaked almonds
- 400g mascarpone cream cheese
- 1tbsp heaped icing sugar
- 300g strawberries
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and place the oven rack quite near the top. Line a standard Swiss roll baking tin, or a shallow baking tray with baking parchment and brush with vegetable oil.
- In a big, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites till they are quite stiff. Add the caster sugar slowly. Continue whisking until the meringue mixture is stiff and shiny, forming peaks.
- Spread the meringue mixture in the Swiss roll tin and sprinkle the flaked almonds on top, evenly. Place in the oven and bake the meringue for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes lower the oven temperature to 160°C and bake the meringue until golden brown, which will take approximately another 8 minutes.
- When the meringue is cooked, remove from the oven and turn it almond-side down on a big, clean sheet of baking parchment. Peel off the paper from the base and leave the meringue to cool completely.
- Whisk the mascarpone cream cheese and the icing sugar till stiff. Spread the mascarpone cream and three quarters of the strawberries, sliced in halves lengthways, evenly over the cold meringue. Use the sides of the parchment paper to roll the meringue roulade onto a serving tray or platter. Keep the meringue roulade in the fridge until you are ready to serve it. Decorate the top with the remaining strawberries and serve.
Cook’s tip: To freeze the roulade, simply put the finished but undecorated roulade on a large sheet of greaseproof paper. Wrap the roulade up like a present, completely covering it and slide onto a tray. Freeze for up to one month. To serve, thaw completely at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of www.berryworld.com
Silversurfer's Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfer's Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!