This delicious tomato Shakshuka recipe is perfect for weekend brunch and is perfectly portioned for one or two people.
It takes just ten minutes to prep before going in the oven, meaning you can quickly prep the dish then get ready for the day ahead before sitting down to eat.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped (or two if you like chilli heat)
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- 1 large beef tomato (approx. 300g) chopped
- A handful of Piccolo tomatoes
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt & pepper
- A pinch of sugar
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
Fresh coriander to serve
- Heat the oven to 190°C.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in an ovenproof frying pan and fry a chopped onion until softened.
- Add the chillies and garlic clove and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and Piccolo tomatoes, then cook for 15-20 minutes. Add the red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- Make 2 wells, crack in 2 free-range eggs, sprinkle over the breadcrumbs and bake for 6-8 minutes to cook the eggs.
- Scatter with a few fresh coriander leaves and serve.
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- Dating stories from over 50s - February 13, 2020
- Do you find it easier to be yourself online? - February 12, 2020
- What’s the best romance film? - February 10, 2020
- Songs About Love – Our Silversurfers Valentine’s Day Playlist - February 10, 2020
- Epic Love Songs Playlist - February 8, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!