Chicken Pad Thai recipe
Light, fresh and packed with veg
“This Thai favourite is packed full of flavour,” says fitness chef Graeme Tomlinson. ”
Unfortunately, restaurant versions are usually full of calories, too. But by reducing the sesame oil from 20ml to 5ml and the peanuts from 30g to 10g, you can still enjoy the classic textures and taste of pad Thai while saving 238 calories.”
50g fresh rice noodles
5ml olive oil
5g brown sugar
150g skinless chicken breast, cut into 4cm pieces
1tsp garlic powder
50g fresh bean sprouts
2 spring onions, finely sliced
Juice of ½ lime, plus a wedge to serve
10ml light soy sauce
10ml fish sauce
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 medium egg
10g unsalted peanuts, crushed
Small handful of freshly chopped coriander
1. Half-fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil. Add the noodles and simmer for four to six minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. While the noodles are cooking, put a medium frying pan over a medium heat, then add the oil, brown sugar, chicken and garlic powder. Cook for five minutes.
3. Reduce the heat, then add the bean sprouts, spring onions, lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce and red chilli, then season with pepper and cook for a further five minutes.
4. Crack in the egg and stir thoroughly for three to four minutes.
5. Plate up the noodles, followed by the chicken mixture, garnishing with the crushed peanuts, lime wedge and chopped coriander.
The Fitness Chef: Still Tasty by Graeme Tomlinson, available at Amazon
The Press Association
Latest posts by The Press Association (see all)
- 3 questions to ask yourself to stay safe from Christmas shopping scams - November 29, 2021
- How to make a plastic-free Christmas table floral display - November 27, 2021
- What do we know about the new Covid variant and how worried should we be? - November 26, 2021
- Prostate cancer symptoms – here’s everything you need to know - November 25, 2021
- Music legends Tears For Fears on the importance of breaking boundaries and talking about mental health - November 24, 2021