It’s National Breakfast Week and we’re celebrating by sharing some new and exciting recipes to start your day – from warming comfort foods to healthy meals you can eat on the go, these recipes will help you add something new to your morning routine.
This blueberry & beetroot porridge is a spin on a classic, and perfect for the cold, dark mornings when you’d rather stay in bed.
Porridge oats have been linked with lowering blood pressure and reducing cholesterol, while antioxidants from the blueberry and beetroot give this dish a powerful boost – it’s a delicious, nutritious meal to keep you going all morning long.
Serves: 4-6 Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 470ml water
- 100g rolled oats
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (plus more for serving)
- 200g blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- Pinch salt
- 2 large ready cooked (vacuum pack) beetroot, chopped
- Yogurt and chopped walnuts to serve
What to do:
- Bring the water to the boil in a medium-sized saucepan and tip in the rolled oats and cinnamon.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all water is absorbed.
- While the oats are cooking, in a separate pan, combine the blueberries, maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Cover the pan and place on a medium heat.
- Bring this mixture to the boil then uncover and allow blueberries to cook gently until soft and the juice around the blueberries is thick (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chopped beetroot and continue cooking just until beetroot is hot.Add desired amount of oatmeal and blueberry-beet sauce to bowls. Serve with plain yogurt and chopped walnuts.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk