National Breakfast Week: blueberry & beetroot porridge
It’s National Breakfast Week and we’re celebrating by sharing some new and exciting recipes to start your day – from warming comfort foods to healthy meals you can eat on the go, these recipes will help you add something new to your morning routine.
This blueberry & beetroot porridge is a spin on a classic, and perfect for the cold, dark mornings when you’d rather stay in bed.
Porridge oats have been linked with lowering blood pressure and reducing cholesterol, while antioxidants from the blueberry and beetroot give this dish a powerful boost – it’s a delicious, nutritious meal to keep you going all morning long.
Serves: 4-6 Prep time: 5 minutes Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 470ml water
- 100g rolled oats
- ¼ tsp cinnamon (plus more for serving)
- 200g blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 3-4 tbsp maple syrup (to taste)
- Pinch salt
- 2 large ready cooked (vacuum pack) beetroot, chopped
- Yogurt and chopped walnuts to serve
What to do:
- Bring the water to the boil in a medium-sized saucepan and tip in the rolled oats and cinnamon.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until all water is absorbed.
- While the oats are cooking, in a separate pan, combine the blueberries, maple syrup and a pinch of salt. Cover the pan and place on a medium heat.
- Bring this mixture to the boil then uncover and allow blueberries to cook gently until soft and the juice around the blueberries is thick (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chopped beetroot and continue cooking just until beetroot is hot.Add desired amount of oatmeal and blueberry-beet sauce to bowls. Serve with plain yogurt and chopped walnuts.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
Silversurfers Features Editor
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!