Beetroot, Wild Rice & Herb Salad with Cumin Spiced Grilled Chicken
This beautifully colourful recipe for Beetroot, Wild Rice & Herb Salad with Cumin Spiced Grilled Chicken, makes the perfect Summer dish, great served for lunch or dinner.
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 40-50 minutes
For the chicken:
4 chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cumin seeds, roundly ground
2 garlic cloves, crushed
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the salad:
400g wild rice, or white & wild rice mixed
500g cooked beetroot, chopped into chunks
1 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
1 small bunch each of mint, coriander and dill (reserve some for garnishing), all roughly chopped
For the dressing:
Juice & zest of 1 orange
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 tsp Greek yogurt
a few dill fronds
What to do:
1. Marinate the chicken by mixing together the olive oil, cumin, crushed garlic, and salt and pepper and rub all over the chicken breasts. Set aside whilst you make the salad. The chicken can be marinated up to 24hours ahead of time if you want to.
2. For the salad, cook the wild rice according to the packet instructions – it should take between 30-40 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Drain really well and tip into a large bowl.
3. Stir the spring onions, herbs and beetroot though the rice.
4. Mix together the dressing ingredients and taste to check the seasoning. It may need a little more vinegar if the orange juice is particularly sweet. Stir the dressing through the salad. Set aside whilst you cook the chicken.
5. Heat the oven top 180°C/gas 6. Heat a griddle pan until it’s really hot and sear the chicken on both sides. Transfer to a baking sheet and finish cooking the chicken in the oven – depending on the thickness of the chicken it should take 10-15 minutes. You can also cook the chicken on a barbeque.
6. When the chicken is cooked cut each breast into thick slices.
7. To serve, pile the rice salad onto plates or a large serving platter and arrange the chicken on top. Spoon the yogurt on top and garnish with a scattering of the reserved dill fronds. Serve immediately.
Recipe by: www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Win a luxury forest holiday for four people! - May 22, 2017
- All the Style of France with none of the Cheese… - May 22, 2017
- Have you changed your mind? - May 22, 2017
- Live-in Care or Care Homes – Is Home Really Where the Heart is? - May 22, 2017
- Colour Splash from Hotter - May 22, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!