Regular hard exercise can take its toll on the immune system as levels of valuable vitamins and minerals in the body are depleted.
That is why it is important to put them back though a diet rich in immunity boosting nutrients. The mackerel is one of the richest sources of long chain omega 3 fatty acids, needed to counteract inflammation, while the leeks contains powerful antioxidant substances that can help to prevent cell damage. The avocado is a great source of vitamin E needed for immunity and heart health.
1 leek, roughly chopped
4 handfuls of rocket
1 avocado, diced
2 fillets of smoked mackerel, diced
8 cherry tomatoes halved
Juice of ½ a lemon
Handful of fresh dill, torn
4 teaspoons toasted mixed seeds
A dash of virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Steam the leek for about 2 minutes, until tender. Put the rocket, leek, avocado, smoked mackerel and tomatoes into a large serving bowl. Squeeze over the lemon juice, add the dill, seeds, olive oil and black pepper and toss lightly together.
Recipe by: British Leeks
Latest posts by Silversurfers Editor (see all)
- Ace acers by Lynne Turner - October 24, 2016
- Regain control over your electric heating with Dimplex Quantum - October 24, 2016
- Worried about retirement choices? - October 24, 2016
- Why does our hearing deteriorate as we get older? - October 24, 2016
- Something to sing about, by Janice Wilkinson - October 22, 2016