Asparagus, sweet potato and tomato shakshouka
Shake up your weekend brunch with this delicious and healthy shakshouka recipe with asparagus, sweet potato and tomato.
This recipe serves two but you can easily double it to make more so long as you have a pan large enough to accommodate the extra ingredients.
Serves: 2 Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2-1 tsp chilli flakes, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1cm chunks (about 400g total weight)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 400g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped into bite size pieces
- 2-4 eggs, depending on hunger
- a small handful coriander, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- a dollop of Greek yogurt
- Add the cumin and chilli to a frying pan and set over a medium-high heat to toast for a couple for minutes. Once the spices are fragrant, pour in the oil and add the sweet potato cubes, stirring well to mix. Reduce the heat to a minimum and cover the pan with a piece of tin foil (or a lid if you have one). Leave to cook for 10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the sweet potato is just starting to soften.
- Remove the foil, add the garlic and stir through, then fry for a minute. Turn the heat up a little, add the tomatoes and a little salt and pepper and fry for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir through the asparagus, recover loosely with the foil and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon to push the vegetables aside to make 2-4 wells in the asparagus mix, cracking an egg into each. Recover loosely with the foil and leave to cook until the eggs are done to your liking, about 5-8 minutes for a set white and a runny yolk.
- Season with salt and black pepper, scatter over the coriander, top with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Serve immediately with plenty of crusty bread.
Recipe courtesy of www.enjoyasparagus.com
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!