Beetroot and Potato Gratin
This beetroot and potato gratin is a spin on a classic and is the perfect showstopper side-dish for your Easter Sunday meal.
It also works great as a main; try adding flaked smoked mackerel or salmon to the dish to create a warming and comforting main.
Serves: 6 as a side dish Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 1 hour
- 1kg potatoes, preferably waxy ones
- 500g cooked beetroot
- 425ml double cream
- 140ml sour cream
- 85ml full fat milk
- salt and pepper
- 3tsp creamed horseradish (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180oC
- Peel the potatoes and slice very finely – a mandoline is the best way to do this. Cut the beetroot into fine slices as well – they don’t have to be as thin. You can cut them with a knife.
- In a large saucepan, mix together the creams and the milk and bring the liquid to just under the boil. Add the sliced potatoes and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Season really well and spoon ½ the potatoes into a buttered gratin dish. Put a layer of beetroot on top – seasoning as you go, then top with the rest of the potatoes and their cream. Put in the oven for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are completely tender. You may need to cover the top with foil after 45 minutes to stop the top becoming too dark in colour.
Recipe courtesy of www.lovebeetroot.co.uk
Silversurfers Features Editor
Latest posts by Silversurfers Features Editor (see all)
- More free online colouring pages - February 20, 2017
- Blueberry Quinoa Salad - February 17, 2017
- Clever uses for bicarbonate of soda - February 16, 2017
- Small adjustments that make a big impact on eating habits - February 15, 2017
- Broken-Hearted Playlist - February 14, 2017
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!