Stilton Cheese and Celery Pasties
Stilton cheese and celery make the perfect combination for a spin on the classic pasty – great as a midweek family supper or packed up for a meal on the move, try these delicious pasties as a Bonfire Night warmer.
Serves: 6 Prep time: 20 mins Cooking time: 30-35 mins
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 200g Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 4 sticks Fenland celery, diced
- 450g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 free-range egg, beaten with tablespoon milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Grease and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- Boil the potatoes until they are soft enough to mash; mash them until they are smooth, then add the mustard powder, crumbled Stilton cheese and the diced celery.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Roll the pastry out on a well-floured board and stamp out circles with a saucer or small plate, to about 5” (13cms) in diameter.
- Spoon some of the filling mixture over one half, moisten the edges of the pastry then fold the pastry over to form a crescent and seal by crimping around the edges with your fingers or a fork.
- Place the pasties on the baking sheet, cut a slit to allow the steam to escape and brush them all over with the beaten egg and milk mixture. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Remove the pasties from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving warm, or cold.
Can be frozen before baking.
Recipe courtesy of www.fenlandcelery.com