2020 is the Year of the Rat
Saturday 25th January is the beginning of the Chinese Lunar New Year, and in 2020 we are entering the Year of the Rat.
Those born in the Year of the Rat are known for their charm and intuition.
They are known for being diligent, positive, industrious and thrifty. They are are known to be clever, quick thinkers, who are successful, but also content to lead a quiet life. They are sensitive to others but stubborn in their opinions.
The rat is the first animal in the Chinese zodiac – they are a symbol of wealth and surplus. Because of their reproduction rate, couples pray to the rat for children.
Learning your Sign
There are 12 animals in the Chinese Zodiac – much like the traditional zodiac calendar we know in Britain, each animal has its own unique set of attributes. It starts with the Year of the Rat and cycles through another animal each year.
Interested in the meaning of your sign? Here’s some of the main characteristics of each of the 12 signs…
1924, 1936, 1948, 1960, 1972
- Rats are known for being quick-witted, resourceful, versatile, kind, adaptable and blessed with a strong curiosity and intuition.
- Saying: Wisdom without industriousness leads to triviality
1925, 1937, 1949, 1961, 1973
- The Ox is known for being diligent, reliable, honest, determined and ambitious. They have strong ideals and attach great importance to family and work.
- Saying: Industriousness without wisdom leads to futility
1926, 1938, 1950, 1962, 1974
- Tigers are brave, confident, adventurous, open and independent. They are charming and well-liked by others and will accept any challenge that is important to them.
- Saying: Valour without caution leads to recklessness.
1927, 1939, 1951, 1963, 1975
- Rabbits are gentle, quiet, clever, elegant, alert, kind and patient. They are faithful to those around them and like to be cautious, rarely revealing their true minds to others.
- Saying: Caution without valour leads to cowardice.
1928, 1940, 1952, 1964, 1976
- Dragons are enthusiastic, confident, intelligent, ambitious, hardworking and straightforward. Dragons are gifted with tenacity and intelligent, are not afraid of challenges and are willing to take risks.
- Saying: Strength without flexibility leads to fracture.
1929, 1941, 1953, 1965, 1977
- Snakes are intelligent, wise, materialistic, calm, courageous, lively and communicative. Snakes are intuitive and known to act according to their own judgment. They are determined to accomplish their goals and hate to fail.
- Saying: Flexibility without strength leads to compromise.
1930, 1942, 1954, 1966, 1978
- Horses are active, energetic, kind, rational, optimistic, sentimental and straightforward. Horses love to be in a crowd, take centre stage and delight audiences.
- Saying: Forging ahead without unity leads to abandonment.
1931, 1943, 1955, 1967, 1979
- Goats are calm, gentle, creative, thoughtful, persevering, frank and honest. Though gentle on the surface, goats are also tough and opinionated with strong instincts.
- Saying: Unity without forging ahead leads to stagnation.
1932, 1944, 1956, 1968, 1980
- Monkeys are ambitious, adventurous, smart, quick-witted, confident and optimistic. They are witty, intelligent and have a magnetic personality. Monkeys are known to be mischievous, curious and clever – a true lover of practical jokes.
- Saying: Changeability without being constant leads to foolishness.
1933, 1945, 1957, 1969, 1981
- Roosters are observant, hardworking, confident, courageous, talented, frank and honest. Roosters are known for being active and popular, talkative and at their happiest when surrounded by others.
- Saying: Being constant without changeability leads to woodenness.
1934, 1946, 1958, 1970, 1982
- Dogs are honest, amiable, kind, cautious, prudent, loyal and sincere. They are known for their strong sense of loyalty, doing anything for those they love. They are good natured and always ready to help others, but sometimes struggle to communicate their innermost thoughts and feelings.
Saying: Fidelity without amiability leads to rejection.
1935, 1947, 1959, 1971, 1983
- Pigs are compassionate, generous, easy-going, ambitious, earnest, responsible and modest. They are known for their great concentration; devoting all their passion and energy to their goals. No matter how stressful things get, pigs handle things properly and carefully.
- Saying: Amiability without fidelity leads to immorality.
What’s your Chinese Zodiac sign? Do you know anyone born the Year of the Rat?
Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor
Latest posts by Rachel - Silversurfers Assistant Editor (see all)
- The best companion dogs for over 50s - February 27, 2020
- Elizabeth Taylor’s most memorable movie roles - February 26, 2020
- March is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month - February 25, 2020
- Reading the label: identify the different kinds of sugar - February 25, 2020
- Clever uses for mayonnaise - February 24, 2020
Leave a Comment!
Community Terms & Conditions
These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site (contributions), and to any interactive services associated with it.
You must comply with the spirit of the following standards as well as the letter. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
be accurate (where they state facts); be genuinely held (where they state opinions); and comply with applicable law in the UK and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
contain any material which is defamatory of any person; or contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory; or promote sexually explicit material; or promote violence; promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; or infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person; or be likely to deceive any person; or be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence; or promote any illegal activity; or be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety; or be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person; or be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person; or give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; or advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
Nurturing a safe environment
Our Silversurfers community is designed to foster friendships, based on trust, honesty, integrity and loyalty and is underpinned by these values.
We don't tolerate swearing, and reserve the right to remove any posts which we feel may offend others... let's keep it friendly!